Woden Shrike Build

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
There's no vent per se since everything is part of the labyrinth / line. If 3/4in is used throughout, you'll be tuning a couple of Hz lower due to the increased length as the entire box size will have to grow. There will be a very small change to the low-pass effect also; I wouldn't get too worried about that, it'll be too small to be audible.

As an alternative: use 1/2in & double the front & side baffles. That way you'll increase structural stiffness (the sides are well-braced with the internal baffles anyway, but they're the largest) where it matters most.

Last edited:
For this ap the foam is not very effective. Use this Creative Sound - Product Details

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

dave

The business that used to sell the 1/2" denim insulation has been bought and no longer seems to carry that product. So far I can't find any that's less than 1" thick. Does anyone have another source for this? Recommended alternative products?

Thanks for that, toobhed. After ransacking my garage, I finally found the remaining 1/2" denim insulation that I got from CSS a couple years ago. There should be just enough for a Falcon build.

Still, we'll need sources for it going forward. I wrote CSS to ask if they still have it or would consider re-stocking it.

Last edited:
Just wanted to post a note of appreciation for the Woden Shrikes. Thanks, Scott!

These things really come to life with single-ended tube amps. I've been designing an integrated, single-ended amp for 7C5 (loctal 6V6GT) with 6SJ7 as input. On the breadboard right now is a candidate for a final build, with the 7C5 wired in triode mode (probably about 1.5W output power). Here's a phone video of the system streaming a Jimmy McGriff Pandora channel through my old phone ("North Beach Blues" -- Lonnie Gasperini Organ Trio). They do justice to the Hammond B3.

Breadboarded Tube Amp -- 7C5, 6SJ7 on Vimeo

They give scads of microdetail and a perfect pacing that I've never heard from these speakers before (not that I thought they'd been lacking). The clarity and transient response for percussion is excellent. "Air" and ambience abundant. They have a really easy quality about them, perhaps because the rear openings allow them to fill the small room so nicely. With small ensemble music I never feel that they're lacking in bass or treble extension. Individual instruments like piano and cello have realistic body, tone depth, and resonance. Overall the music has a presence rivaled only by the 300B mono blocks and JM Lab speakers in my main system.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.