Board Amp for Vintage Amp Build

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello all,

I recently purchased a Technics SU-7100 amplifier that was DOA. After visiting a repair shop, it was deemed not worth the repair. However, I love the case and would like to re use it. I would also like to use the volume bass and treble controls on the amp case.

I have a few questions:
What is the best amplifier for the job? I'd like a 2 channel, 50 or 100 watt per channel amp. I use a 2.1 50+50+100 TPA3116 at my desk, and it's great for that, but I'm wondering if there's anything of higher quality that could be used for a turntable/hifi setup? I know I'm asking a lot, but I'm sure it's possible. (the question is the cost). I currently use an Onkyo TX SR503, and I'd like to surpass the performance of that.

Also, the bass, treble, and volume controls. Does anyone know hard it would be to de solder and reconnect (with wires) each potentiometer on a board? I can use the existing faceplate, but obviously the pots will not line up correctly unless I relocate them.

Any help or other suggestions are greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance!
Tyler

Hi,
it is sometimes a little difficult to find the right words.
Usually, if you have the knowledge to finish such a project, you are not going to ask such questions. I try to explain what one could do.
First, you should get a schematic of the old amp, so you can find out what you might re-use of the remaining parts.
Often you can reduce an old high quality amp to it´s per-amp function and install a new power section. Pre-amp´s, even older ones, are often sound neutral, so you can improve them by fitting a modern high quality power amp. So you can get most of today's sound quality, while keeping the vintage look.

The simplest way would be to install a remote controlled pre-amp/ input selection and power amp plus SMPS. You can leave anything on the outside look as it was, only a remote sensor has to be integrated.
Even when you get such a combination to work, there is a 99% chance your amp will buzz and hum. You need some real experience to build something usable, even from finished modules. Getting input an output impedance´s right has to be calculated.
Maybe stick to buying a finished amp, there are good, cheap chip amp´s around.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.