Desktop full range

So I had these on my desktop, and they are deceased after 2 decades of loyal service. Also a tad large, but I liked them a whole lot.

So after a lot of searching and reading (sitting close and phase, open baffle and wall, imaging, that tweeter has ehm questionable reviews apparently), I think the best and easiest option is a nice fullrange in closed box, either a Fane or a Sica, this is (probably?) as large as I can get away with next to my screen. But I'd like to avoid an absolutely huge box.

What is the smallest housing for either of these that I can get away with, is 45-47 liter good? Is it stupid to even ask and am I then better off with 10 inch drivers? About 50% music, 50% games if relevant. I just want to get rid of these crappy Logitechs. Recommend other drivers if a lot better for a small box but try and cap it at say 2×-3× the price.

SSL10455-2.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 1 user
frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
What Galu said.

When i saw the title, i thot these pictured, or a Baby Lab.

blackWalnut-uFonkenSET-comp.jpg

And this the first one to come off a printer.

img_20240405_174750-jpg.1296172

I have done this particular shape from the 2.5 litres here up to 135 litres, and the size you suggest in the rectangualr version.

For sealed may i suggest the SEAS FA22. 45 litres is about right for a smaller sealed box (pretty much what i have in the garage). Need phase plugs added.

Not familar with the Sica, but i wouldn’t go near the Fane without DSP EQ. Also 8” is already pushing things for mid/top perfprmance.

But what you havebeen living with is a dirt cheap set of lightduty PA speakers. From the 80s like.

dave

Reactions: 1 users
You must have a huge desktop! I have 45 litre enclosures in my man shed, but they're sitting on the floor!

Member GM has given dimensions of the "classic" 54 litre sealed or vented enclosure for the Fane Sovereign 12-250TC.

See post #75 here: https://www.diyaudio.com/community/...2-250tc-and-a-low-power-set-amp.340045/page-4

Personally, I'd go for smaller full range drivers for near field use. Good luck!
I did design my own deeper desk at 1.4m×0.8 and hope to have the materials to build soon (depending delivery and tools, have to see) but my previous desk was about twice as big. Currently a placeholder which is not great. Will dig into that thread a bit though.

What Galu said.

When i saw the title, i thot these pictured, or a Baby Lab.

For sealed may i suggest the SEAS FA22. 45 litres is about right for a smaller sealed box (pretty much what i have in the garage). Need phase plugs added.

Not familar with the Sica, but i wouldn’t go near the Fane without DSP EQ. Also 8” is already pushing things for mid/top perfprmance.

But what you havebeen living with is a dirt cheap set of lightduty PA speakers. From the 80s like.

dave

Seas added to the shortlist. I will need to look into phase plugs and what/how to do when they are near on the desktop.

And dirtcheap or not, they did well, Battlefield 2 to GTFO, sound impressed. I never turned them way up but I really liked the in your face sound, there was not a time when an explosion or Ministry did not impress, I am sure there is a specific term for it. I did build a set (1 pair with 4× FRS8M each) before the Logitech but it did not really do well for me.

I also built these ones right here from the forum 2-3 weeks ago but I need to fix up the cabinets and a few rough edges. I can get some pics tomorrow but do not judge too harshly, the woodworking is not stellar. I really like the sound quality wise so far but I want to try and build a large pair to see if that gives me back that sudden attack with preferably enough low end, not overly boomy but just good and with balance.

If not, maybe try a pair with compression driver (I tried it in 4.1.2 no less at someones home), but then I have to think of and design a filter, I tried my hand at Xsim and it works but not great for me when having to import frequency/impedance graphs because errors, then I have to look into nearfield and phase and I get tired already. Maybe I am overthinking the issues with multiple drivers or maybe I read too much people being too critical of all the details. But before I get into all that I want to just try 12 over 8 inches.

Last edited: