In search of low distortion omnidirectional microphones for DIYers

Joined 2005
Paid Member
A request from me, but I don't know how much work that is, is to find the limits of each microphone model.

Also, maybe I didn't read it well myself, but do you have an indication of the noise floor as well as the loop-distortion of your setup without the microphone(s)?

This is important and thank you for reminding me- I shall cover this...

Reactions: 1 user
Although not totally on-topic, but it does make you wonder how much effect the FET-source-follower/common-drain mod would have an effect on these numbers?

Most capsules I have seen, are all connected as regular gain amplifier, introducing all kinds of issues.
That is just the active part inside the capsule itself. (not talking about the preamp after)
Not even the mechanical part.

The FET connection has a lot to do with distortion and signal handling in electret mics. They operate with essentially zero gate-to-source bias voltage, and as the junction forms a silicon diode, the gate starts to conduct when the voltage goes very much positive at all. At the usual diode multi-milliamp 'fully conducting' voltage of 0.6V, and a mic with typical sensitivity of 10mV/Pa, the level at the mic would be 129dBSPL. But as even tiny currents upset the electret operation, the mic has gone into extreme distortion (rectification) long before that. The common drain connection helps that a lot, a cascode helps even more.

Reactions: 1 user