Is it possible to cover the whole spectrum, high SPL, low distortion with a 2-way?

diyAudio Moderator
Joined 2008
Paid Member
You have two woofers in a box which are in varying states of relative phase because they are independently time locked to something external (the listening position). These sources also have varying directivity with frequency due to the fixed baffle size. You call them bipoles but that is questionable, and doesn't help. Besides, what would be the benefit if they were?

Oh… I see your point about it not technically being a bipole I guess., sorry for the confusion. I don’t know what to call it then… a front and rear facing woofer cabinet I guess. Corner loaded, crossed at 200hz, I wonder what its pros n cons would be. In particular, time and phase aligned, I wonder would it sound desirable

Those speakers that are meant to be corner loaded… I forget what the name of that brand is… Or even some design that I don't know of, that is meant to be placed in the corner with a woofer facing the corner, how high they typically ran???

Matter of fact, how is placing a rear firing woofer into a corner, not very similar to a Lascala???
1714755554391.png

Last edited:
Matter of fact, how is placing a rear firing woofer into a corner, not very similar to a Lascala???
The Klipsch La Scala is a purpose designed front loaded horn that does not fire in to a corner:
LaScala.png

A woofer in a box facing a corner has little similarity to a free-standing horn designed for reproduction up to 400 Hz.

A woofer in a box facing a corner cavity will produce deep cancellation notches similar to your slot-loaded dual 18".
Any sound it produces at your listening location will either be off axis diffraction or ceiling reflections.

If you are planning to use some woofers for <120Hz, and others from <120Hz up to ~300Hz, putting them in the same box reduces system flexibility.

You could use your sealed 15" boxes to experiment with the configurations you have been speculating about.

Reactions: 1 user
As long as my sim is near real world result, the redesign of the slot should take care of my issues except for being stuck towards a lower crossover. Using EQ to smooth FR shows hope to have a normal GD through the XO region, and the null is near 400hz allowing the intended 200hz xo to develope fully.
1714919009803.png
1714919214082.png