Live Edge Dipoles - #1 at Parts Express 2023 Speaker Design Competition - Updated Design

Tom Perazella reports on the Danville Signal 2in 8out DSP system here in a Boston Audio Society zoom meeting:
Moving the midrange image forward and more in your face (as described in the video) is not necessarily a good thing. It can be the result of a clock jitter problem. Which is only to say that there can be both good and bad things which add up to an overall better result. But maybe even better without the bad part, if there were to be such a case.

I have the Danville Signal dspNexus 2x8 with the AK4499EX DAC's. It far surpasses the sound quality of my DEQX 2.6p system I had used before.

At this point it is running a pair of Magnepan 1.7 planars as a 3-way DSP crossover with 2x12 OB servo subs.

Tom Perazella replaced his DEQX Express II with a dspNexus 2x8 with the AK4493 DAC's with his Egg's and he is very happy with the system.

DSP Concepts Audio Weaver is the development software that is used with the system and comes with a license with each system.

Reactions: 1 users
My introduction to open baffle was a pair of Lii Audio 15” full rangers. As for many of us, it was an epiphany. My previous speakers were modified Herseys. The Klipsch were good, and most importantly they fit in my room, which is always a challenge, but OB noticeably improved the bass and imaging. While the Lii Audio drivers were a good start, the “sweet spot” is very narrow, and the bass extension left something to be desired: Enter Perry Marshall’s Dipoles:

I’ve been working towards this project for well over a year. I could see that the design let’s the 8” do most of the work, w/ the 18” providing incredibly coherent extension. I opted for the Beryllium Radian drivers and while I cannot compare them to the Aluminum stock diaphragms, I’ve never heard as detailed of a tweeter in my listening rooms.

I built the baffles over (3) months out of spare Ipe decking that I had. Ipe is among the hardest hardwoods available, and posed challenges to work with, but I took my time, practiced my cuts in advance, and learned to lubricate the drill bits when inserting the brass inserts that keep the base connected to the baffle. The baffle is ¾” decking that is reinforced with sections that were adhered behind the drivers. Yes, they are very heavy. Moving them is a challenge!

The Ipe Dipoles are powered by a Crown XLS 1502 & Pass Amp Camp Amp currently. I have some cheap RCAs that I have the MiniDSP plugged into, but am in the process of making some worthy RCAs to connect the gear with. There is absolutely NO audible signal polluting these drivers when they are idle. No small feet given the high sensitivity of these speakers. Bravo Perry!!!! For reference I recommend a recording by the great Eddie Kamae: "Heart of the Ukelele." Of course acoustic music is the best reference material for assessing the level of detail, transients & dynamics in a recording. With the Dipoles I can hear Eddie breathing. Wow!!! In the past I've mated a subwoofer to my mains. With these speakers I can now see the shortcomings of my past effort. I see NO reason to add a subwoofer when the coherency of the 18" Deltas surpasses any REL subwoofer I've tried to mate to my mains in the past.

What can I add to what Perry professed in his detailed write up on the Dipoles? Not very much! Thank you to Perry for guidance and support in this build. I recall someone recently saying the best speakers you will ever own will be the ones’ you build yourself. I agree with that thought. I enjoyed every moment creating these. It was a rewarding & enjoyable process to get across the finish line!

My outro challenge is uploading Perry’s XML files to Dirac LIVE. They import to the Flex8, but not Flex8 w/ DL. If anyone has a turnkey solution for interpreting/converting the XML data for manual input into the Flex8 w/ DL platform, I’m all ears. My only concern is preserving and being able to interpret / use Perry’s data in future DSPs for the Dipoles- assuming the DSP unit will eventually be upgraded as technology marches forward. This is my first foray into DSP, so I need help in building my skill set working with this technology.

Thank you Perry for sharing your work with all of us. Also shout out to Tom Larwa, who’s efforts in building these helped me get this across the finish line. If you decide to build these; look up Tom’s post chronicling his build. His crossover layout is excellent. The dipoles are dare I say, “A gift from above!” Mahalo.

Attachments

• IMG_20240605_083013334_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20240605_083013334_HDR.jpg
    380.8 KB · Views: 74
  • images.jpg
    images.jpg
    8.5 KB · Views: 70
Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users