Modulus-86 build thread

Neurochrome.com
Joined 2009
Paid Member
There can be many reasons for mains hum ingress. Usually it enters by inductive coupling or leakage. It's too low frequency to couple significantly through stray capacitances, but it can couple through EMC filter caps and such as they have large enough capacitance to allow for sufficient leakage current.

In systems with USB the EMC filter caps in the PC power supply strike me as the dominant route for mains hum in a PC-based measurement setup. The best solution I've found is to use an isolated USB interface. Those are few and far between as the isolators add cost without providing much benefit for the average consumer. There are some USB isolators out there for industrial applications, but they only seem to support "full speed" (12 Mbit/s). That's plenty for audio, but could lead to some compatibility problems. USB2/3 devices should be compatible ... "should"... Also note that some of them only isolate the power, which is useless. You need full isolation.
Another option is to run the analyzer software on a laptop on battery power. If the PC doesn't connect to ground it can't cause any current in the ground loop.

Mains hum can also enter via the cabling. So use good StarQuad cables and a differential input on the DUT. Also use the differential input on the analyzer. Beware that you don't exceed the common-mode voltage spec for the analyzer input, though.

Also keep in mind that 50/60 Hz hum may not be from the mains. I've been poking around in the lab lately and on occasion I'll get some 25 Hz and harmonics showing up, which is remarkable given that I'm on 60 Hz mains. It wouldn't surprise me one bit if that's related to wifi SSID broadcasts. The wifi bands are crowded here to say the least. #innerCityLiving.
Screenshot 2024-06-04 at 11.57.06.png

The 25 Hz and harmonics I see are maybe 10 dB above the noise floor on the APx555, so it's not like this has any real consequences except it doesn't look pretty in the plot. Part of the reason for this is also that I have the circuit sitting 'naked' on the lab bench. Once it's in a metal chassis the RF will be shunted to ground (and attenuated heavily by the chassis).

I'll sometimes make a circuit burrito. I.e., wrap the circuit under test in ESD-safe bubble wrap and then in aluminum foil that's grounded to the test equipment ground. That usually knocks down the various RF sources to the point where they don't show in the measurement. Also, I keep my cellphone out of the lab.

Tom

Reactions: 1 users
Joined 2011
Paid Member
Can you post a picture of how you connected interface gnd with usb gnd?
I have the same problem with 50 Hz ripple in my measurements.
I took it all apart now, but it was wire from usb gnd stuck in between usb connector and the plug, and the other end connected to gnd on the input/output. It was not pretty looking or professional but it worked to remove the 60hz from my measurements.

Solution was mentioned by youtuber - phils lab - in his qa403 video review

Reactions: 1 users