• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Weird Edicron tubes: EF804 & E80F

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Weird Edicron tubes: EF804 & E80L

Hi,

In my collection I have some Edicron EF804 as well as a few Telefunken EF804S. Also some Edicron E80L and original Philips E80L.
What I noticed is that the Edicrons look quite different to the original EF804 and E80L.
It looks like they both got another base and a different internals...
I'd like to know more about these weird versions.
Any clues?

Thanks,
Jim

Attachments

• ef804.jpg
    ef804.jpg
    528.7 KB · Views: 425
  • e80l.jpg
    e80l.jpg
    656 KB · Views: 432
Last edited:
The shiny screen/shield shown in post 1 is classically Russian. Looks quite different from western designs.

And… quite clearly, the bottom of the bulb is a classic mini pinout, metal-bonded-to-glass. The black base looks like a really crass approximation of the sturdy bakelite of Olde. To me. Ruskie retread.

Now I'll give this: Ruskie tubes can be of surprisingly high quality.

After all, the Russian military (and many civilian sectors) continued (and continue into the present) to use vacuum valves for all sorts of equipment that is too well built and expensive to toss-out-and-replace; the demands of such equipment continue to require "reasonable up-time", so the valves' makers must keep up the quality levels, or risk the wrath of the penny-pinching governmental maintainers.

So.

Even creatively post-packaged onto a pinout changing fake-o socket, the fundamental tube is still likely sound.

But I would imagine that having those close-to-the-grid-pin HF ringing damper resistors is even more important than with just the naked mini-pinout valve.

Just saying,
GoatGuy ✓

Looked up the EF804 on pocnet. Remarkably low-tension and low current. The german manual seems to indicate that most of the time, IA less than 1.0 ma is the design point. Interesting pentode, actually. I see what you mean (if you needed a real one, then the substitute is poor) GoatGuy

And… quite clearly, the bottom of the bulb is a classic mini pinout, metal-bonded-to-glass. The black base looks like a really crass approximation of the sturdy bakelite of Olde. To me. Ruskie retread.GoatGuy

Here's a picture of the base. Some red substance is visible behind the second glass base.
And another close-up of the plate structure. Looks definitely like the russian 'EF86'.

Attachments

• ef804.jpg
    ef804.jpg
    583.6 KB · Views: 162
  • ef804-2.jpg
    ef804-2.jpg
    650.7 KB · Views: 165
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.