AD811 as I/V stage for current DACs (and test some other op amps including Burson Audio op amps as I/V)

It is indeed a simple yet promising lil circuit to be tried.
Btw it seems clear @grunf you are using it as single ended output, what would actually be best way to use it in case of balanced output chips? Maybe using a small resistor or grounding the chip negative output?
In that case(balanced output), you need four AD811s, as I will use in my new DAC with two PCM1794s.

@Radian, considering the lead spacing on the 8 pin dips is 2.54mm I'd estimte the board to be 55 ~ 60 ish mm long.
But the AD811 has low PS rejection so you need to use a very low noise high quality power supply. The power supply is where all the space in this design will be,
I agree, in my case the regulator and power supply are much more complicated and expensive than the IV stage itself.

Reactions: 1 users
I can get a 160mm X 100mm board made for
€26. 105um traces instead of 35um.
We can get 6 boards onto this area.
I need two for a differential setup.
grunf you can get two just for the cost of shipping if you like.
Shipping takes 7 days after payment.
Gerbers would be nice but pic works to.
We can up the area and put more boards on to it if interest exists.

Greets Klaus

Reactions: 1 user
In that case(balanced output), you need four AD811s, as I will use in my new DAC with two PCM1794s.
Thank you for your answer.
Not been clear sorry, I am using a balanced output chip (a pcm1794 per channel) into a single ended integrated amp (currently with passive iv stage). Since a single ended output is needed, what would be the best way to menage the negative ouput of the dac chip using the ad811 single ended output from the positive?

I understood correctly, it should look something like this, four AD811 for two PCM1794 ;) .

Attachments

• AD811 for PCM1794.png
    AD811 for PCM1794.png
    43.7 KB · Views: 145
  • sbaa333-1 AD811.pdf
    344.7 KB · Views: 59
I understood correctly, it should look something like this, four AD811 for two PCM1794 ;) .
Grunf, I think you have mis-interpreted the application of that 1kohm resistor..
The original Jung scheme is applying it !behind the feedback node. (below)
Your schematic means that you have eliminated the 0 ohm virtual ground that the Dac output wishes to see and now there is 1kohm I/V resistor in place, with some Volt of voltage compliance to tolerate for the Dac..

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240319_100537_com.google.android.apps.docs.jpg
    Screenshot_20240319_100537_com.google.android.apps.docs.jpg
    190.8 KB · Views: 77
Today I finished the prototype PCB for IV with AD811 but this time everything with SMD components except four 100uF/50v ukz and two AD811 with heatsinks.
For the first time I used DALE PNM non-magnetic series instead of RN60, and instead of polystyrene and polypropylene TH capacitors I used non-magnetic SMD COG capacitors. AD811 is soldered direct on the PCB.
So far I can say that in this application the PNM is much better than the RN60.

Attachments

• ad811 IV.jpg
    ad811 IV.jpg
    521.8 KB · Views: 31
  • ad811 iv 1.jpg
    ad811 iv 1.jpg
    387.3 KB · Views: 33
  • pnm.pdf
    102.5 KB · Views: 24