Amplifier for Magnepan 1.6

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I'm looking to buy a new amp for my Magnepan 1.6. I currently have a NAD 3400 integrated amp and it has been working excellently with my Magnepan. However, I'll retire the device to my study room (where it will be powering a Magnepan SMGa).

I was looking at a 5.1/7.1 system to replace it, as i want to integrate my Stereo and HT in the living room... However, it is looking quite impossible to find a HT that is beefy enough. (I was eyeballing a Marantz 9500 but the minimum impedance is 6 Ohm).

i'm not thinking of getting a poweramp for the magnepans and using the pre-outs of a cheaper ht receiver.

But... It is difficult to find a good amp for the purpose. I was looking at both vintage (quad 405/606) as well as DIY (Pass Labs), but i'm not even able to understand which design will be good.

As far as i can understand, the quads are good for low impedance speakers... but the design is dated by current standards and i should look for a modern amp.

As for Pass Labs DIY kits... i have no clue which design is especially suitable for high current low impedance speakers.

Is there anyone that can suggest a good vintage amp (under 400 EUR) or a DIY kit that is suitable for the magnepans?

MGS

Hi js,

A friend had a pair of Magnepan SMGs, some years ago and with my Bedini 25.25 they sounded wonderful. The MG 1.6 can be bi-amped and like the SMGs will probably benefit from a good class A amp. Take a look at the JLH modded for Quad ESLs (The Class-A Amplifier Site - A JLH Amp for the Quad ESL57) as this should be a perfect match for the 1.6s - the Quad ESL has an impedance variation of 16 (LF) - 2 (HF) ohms.

Also look at Rod Elliott's site where TCAAS is hosted; he has some excellent designs at a reasonable bang-for-the-buck (Elliott Sound Products - The Audio Pages (Main Index)) viz. Project 10 and 3B.

Good luck, Kevin

For high current you generally want a push-pull amp. Depending on the size of your room, you may find some of the FirstWatt designs underpowered, although the M2 or F6 might do the job. (Or F5 if you like a very engaging but somewhat unforgiving sound.)

However, I think the Pass BA-2 would better suit your needs. (Or the BA-3 if you want the more "up-front" presentation of the F5.)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.