Asathor - a JBL 4367 Clone

hello thimios,

1) I assume that your drivers shold be closely in spec with the factory data. the drivers are industrial products and I assume it is more likely that a hobbyist's measurements are a somewhat off. If the crossover network is properly reproduced, the general characteristics of the speaker designed by Rese should be accomplished, even if small deviations in the frequency response occur, which can always happen but usually is not relevant.
2) this is why I suggest to re-measure, document and erro check your procedure over and over. if you worked to specs, your speaker should usually closely match the results of the model.

Please follow the guide: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...ents-spinoramas-with-rew-and-vituixcad.21860/
One addition: For step no. 4, you can also create the baffle step correction with Vituixcad, if you are more accustomed to it than the program napilopez suggests. This video explains how to do it with Vituixcad:

However, in your case it is not necessary to create off-axis measurements, don't be distracted by the title of the video. You only need the on-axis curve for now.

"Also, do not forget to do the measurements with the mic positioned in a line with the center of the horn."
What I can say with certainty is that the center of the horn is the worst point that the microphone can target.
This is exactly where the biggest dip in the 1-2 K area is presented.
On the contrary, the best point is the upper limit between the woofer and the horn.
This is my own finding.
Would be very helpful if you or any other can post measurements . :)

Last edited:
Hello thimios, I asked @Rese66 for you at which axis he had positioned his measuring microphone during the design process of this speaker, to which he replied with the above quoted post: “at the height of the tweeter”. Your task is to reproduce his speaker faithfully, according to his measurements. This is why you want to measure at the same axis that was used to design this speaker. Maybe Rese can confirm his statement on the design axis when he reads this.

Your current measurements are off in many ways. While the high frequency rise can result from a uncalibrated measuring microphone, there is also a low frequency rise in your gated data. If no crossover values where changed by you and the ones used fit the values as per the design, this indicates measuring errors. You should measure again, with patience, checking every step, repeat and document and search for the source of this mismatch, first and foremost, in your own measuring process. This is why it is also important to strictly stick to the measuring axis of the designer.

Last edited:
''Thank you for measuring again. It looks like the measurement window is still too large.
Was the speaker in the middle of the room when you took the measurement or was there something within 2 meters (6 feet) that reflected the sound (walls, window, table or similar)?
This could be the reason for the increase in the lower frequency range.

Between 1kHz and 2kHz it is not quite optimal, but that can also be due to the tolerances of woofer and tweeter. The resonances of the woofer, which are exactly in this range, can differ somewhat more from woofer to woofer and this is then reflected in the overall frequency response.

Unfortunately, I have no other explanation at the moment, but all in all this is not bad and such small differences are also very difficult to hear.''

Reading this from Resse,i'm confused a lot.
Is it about the cross point?
Is it for the Lavose COMPRESSION DRIVER?
Resonance frequency for WSF152.50 woofer=Fs 46Hz

Last edited:
How much have you played on the speakers??
My initial listening could be somewhat related to your measurings, and it "pissed me off", that the basses were so stiff.
One of my best frinds bought a couple of brand new JBL 4367, and he suffered from something similar. JBL recommemends
around 50 hours of burn-in time, and this is quite an understatement. 500 hours is more like it, and since I felt like shortening
this period, I went to bed 2 nights in a row feeding the Asathor´s with 10Hz/100watt, and this 1. softened them a great deal, and
2. minimized a great deal of my problems around the crossover point.
Just my 5 cents ;)

Reactions: 1 user
How much have you played on the speakers??
My initial listening could be somewhat related to your measurings, and it "pissed me off", that the basses were so stiff.
One of my best frinds bought a couple of brand new JBL 4367, and he suffered from something similar. JBL recommemends
around 50 hours of burn-in time, and this is quite an understatement. 500 hours is more like it, and since I felt like shortening
this period, I went to bed 2 nights in a row feeding the Asathor´s with 10Hz/100watt, and this 1. softened them a great deal, and
2. minimized a great deal of my problems around the crossover point.
Just my 5 cents
Thank you for your answer.
The trouth is that i haven't played on the speakers yet.

Let’s not confuse things even more: burn-in has mild effects at the resonance frequency fs only. Although this might slightly change the system high-pass, which will accordingly effects phase which is why indeed, small changed might occur in the crossover region, we are speaking of sub dB variation here.

The rise at low and high frequencies is the issue in you last measurements, but as I said before, the highs might just be alright, it could result from the measurement microphone not being calibrated (is your mic calibrated?). Looking at the horn measurement here https://www.diyaudio.com/community/threads/asathor-a-jbl-4367-clone.367215/post-7372804 it looks very good. Also, you showed the inverted tweeter and this revealed the crossover frequency at roughly 1700 Hz. In your non inverted measurement, everything is alright in this range.

Last edited:
There's not much activity in this thread, so I want to share my new speaker project; the Asathor.

Last spring I finished my first-ever speaker build: An extended version of the classic Dynaco A-25.
The result impressed me. They nearly rival my Harbeth SHL5+ in the midrange, with more fun and punchier sound.

I got some spare sheets of baltic birch plywood from the A26 project for the fronts. Just enough for the sides, and the top panels. The back panels and the bottoms would be MDF.

That is all I know for now. Will post some photos when start building my Asathors.
235B79A6-6AED-43FE-AB3B-7846CC230235_1_105_c.jpeg

Reactions: 6 users
There's not much activity in this thread, so I want to share my new speaker project; the Asathor.

Last spring I finished my first-ever speaker build: An extended version of the classic Dynaco A-25.
The result impressed me. They nearly rival my Harbeth SHL5+ in the midrange, with more fun and punchier sound.

I got some spare sheets of baltic birch plywood from the A26 project for the fronts. Just enough for the sides, and the top panels. The back panels and the bottoms would be MDF.

That is all I know for now. Will post some photos when start building my Asathors. View attachment 1225725
Good luck with the Asathor!
When you ready please post some measurements, if any.:)

Reactions: 1 user
Ported 2 way. Go back to read page 1. Copy of a JBL design, 4367 maybe?
Wrong! Not even ported.
Heyyy @Flaxxer
Anywhere in the thread, were you have shown your crossover with the adjustments/regulators shown in the pictures??
Cabinets are nothing less than gorgeous (y)

I used the exact xovers the designer specifies. Only expensive components instead. But the same values.
The recesses on the rear that hold capacitors ... One side is just a wooden holder for the 2.0mm mini plugs on the leads of the capacitors. Inactive dummy side.
The other recess has the female 2.0 mm mini banana plugs in it, and is always active. This allows two things: It allows you to tweak the value up or down by one step, to suit your personal tastes or particular music choice. The main purpose is for changing brands of capacitors. Cap rolling.
The controls in the middle are completely separate from the main xover. They are for turning on and off, and blending the super tweeter with the speakers.
No changes

• Thank You
Reactions: 2 users