Balancing 3 Way Speaker Sensitity

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
R1 in series and R2 in parallel - just look at the positions of R1 and R2 in the diagram in the L pad calculator.

However, the way that you position the L pad(s) depends on how you are crossing over to the mid and tweeter unit.

Are you are using your 3-way crossover board to supply the woofer, mid and tweeter seperately, and not using the crossover that came with the mid/treble?

If seperately, you will need to put an L pad in front of the mid as well as one in front of the treble.

i.e. I need more information on how you presently have your drivers connected up!

Actually yes your right I will need 1 set per component my crossover has 3 outputs: W, M, T.
No I am not using the original crossover supplied with Cerwin-Vega M/T set as the M was more like a mid-bass crossed over at 50hz (I rather let the woofer take that role)

Last edited:
Ok, so I will be limited in the amount of power I can push.
Galu I found another woofer which I think would be a better way to solve this problem.

It's description is as follows:

This is a custom engineered high power woofer designed for use in any Cerwin Vega speaker system where 12 inch foam edge low frequency drivers were used. The bass is full and strong with a broad prominent midrange output making this woofer exceptionally easy to use in 3 way systems or subwoofer cabinets. Hole size: 11 1/8 inches. Depth: 5 inches. Application or use: 3 way systems (woofer, midrange and tweeter) or single component powered home theater subwoofer. Highest recommended crossover: 800hz. Recommended maximum amplifier power: 500 to 600 watts RMS. Sensitivity 96db @1W @ 400hz. Design and engineering: USA. Parts sources: USA. Voice coil design: Copper wire 4-layer subwoofer. Maximum movement capability before damage: 31mm or 1 1/4 inches. These subwoofers are hand made to order and full power tested before shipping!

What do you think? It says 96db @ 1W @400hz does that make sense? Based on the description does this seem appealing to you as an audiophile?

(a) Ok, so I will be limited in the amount of power I can push.
(b) Galu I found another woofer which I think would be a better way to solve this problem.
What do you think?

I think you must have money to burn! :eek:

(a) I you mean you will get less loudness per watt, then yes. However your amp is powerful enough that you need not worry about that.

(b) This other woofer is MORE sensitive than the mid/tweeter unit (96dB against 94dB). If you read back through this thread, that should tell you something! It would avoid the use of L pads, but the bass level may exceed the mid/treble level - although you might think that a good thing!

I'll leave it up to you now - I've given you all the information you need. Let us know how it all turns out. :)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.