Curt Campbell's Halcyon build thread

Amir at ASR points out where the rounding might have an effect. I know ASR is controversial, but it seems pretty silly to downplay measurements, even if you think they aren't the whole story. Notice his note at the bottom.
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...chano23-open-source-diy-speaker-review.54066/

1715878487147.png

As I progress the Halcyon Speaker design and Madi sound Kit has arrived I have but one issue. The kit did not have Sonotubes - which might not be an issue in the USA - but 200mm Sontube/Formatube is not readily available outside of the USA it so seems. I am thinking of constructing the wave guide out of MDF! Any thoughts?

That sucks! The Sonotubes never came in the kits. They come in slightly different diameters because they were shipped nested inside each other. What you were supposed to was go down to Home Depot, with the dimensions, and pick a tube that closely meets the correct diameter. Mine was a little larger than the cavity width, so I had to force it in, creating a little distortion in the round shape of the tube.

I kept my extra tubing for a few years and just threw it out recently. Sorry, I could have sent it to you. If you are willing to pay the shipping, send me the dimensions you need and I’ll go get one and cut it down to a little longer than you need and ship it to you. I’ll try to get the next larger size also to add some extra crush protection. Not ideal, but a legit option.

Didn’t the wave guides come with the kit? i thought they were pretty standard parts.

Alan, Thanks for the offer. How amazing this community really is..... and this offer from the other side of the planet. (It is the other side of the planet thing that really blows my mind!). When my forbears came to Australia in 1863 - it took them 6 months and mail was at best 13 months return. In todays world - that could be 0.5 Light Years away!

But I digress. No, the tube did not come in the kit and I did not think this would be an issue. I have found 250mm in Australia - BUT - not in Brisbane and they won't ship. I was over in North America recently and could have sourced then.......

Any thoughts on creating waves guide using MDF - seems like a reasonable non-resonant option. Labour is pretty cheap in Cambodia and it would only add ~~8kg to the overall mass.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
I am thinking of constructing the wave guide out of MDF

I figure the midTL would be better if it was heavily tapered. Make a 10:1 midTL about the same volume as the sonotube. This is an example:

midTL-snippet.png

Doing so should improve one of the shortcomings of the design. The other would be to figure out how to get the woofers closer to the midTweeter.

And why are you using MDF instead of quality plywood?

dave

jmenzies,

That's the beauty of DIY - you can make to with what you have... if no commercially available plywood at your place then it should be ok to build with MDF; for the front baffle perhaps consider 1" material (instead of 3/4"), so that you can accommodate the rebate/rabbet for flush-mounting the drivers. This can be achieved by using 1" MDF or adding a 1/4" layer on top of 3/4" material.

Your question regarding resonance of the PVC plastic pipe for the mid-tweet enclosure - the Linkwitz LX Mini also uses PVC pipes of the bass enclosure and mids, so it should work for you in this application.