DIY surround speakers

Joined 2002
However with films we are always chasing the volume around as we turn it down for the loud chase and explosiony bits but then have to bump it up again to hear the dialogue. We really could use the 5.1 separation of dialogue in the centre and music / effects in the L+R so the OS centre is a key attraction.

The thing about 5.1 is that it is designed to be listened to at a certain volume. When you watch a film at reference level the dialogue is easy to hear. However when things go boom in the action sequences they are very loud, as they should be. If you are turning loud parts down due to neighbour issues etc then maybe look for a receiver that has a 'midnight' mode setting. This compresses the audio making the quiet bits a bit louder and the loud bits a bit quieter.
It doesn't sound to me like you are looking for a full blown 'reference' level home cinema experience, just a better than average set up. I'd imagine a set of 5 matching 2 ways based around a 5 or 6" midwoofer / tweeter combo with a single well placed 10" sub would be enough.

My TV setup is a pair of old mission 2 ways with a single powered 10" sub. I never struggle to hear dialogue and it has enough oomph to sound good at normal domestic levels. I'd say this setup goes plenty loud enough for most 'normal' UK living rooms.

Rob

Reactions: 1 users
Joined 2012
Thanks for that Bob.

You are correct - I'm not after a reference system, just something better than average for, hopefully, less cash outlay than a HT-in-a-box 'solution'.
I don't think that's naive: the Wharfedale DX3 is £500. The OS drivers, xo bits, MDF or ply sheet and sticky back vinyl come to just over £300. Chuck in my existing SD215A sub and we are still well under. Been looking for an excuse to try building a bandpass to replace the slot ported DVC in the office.

The DIY part being fun as well is a bonus.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Joined 2012
20240118_095326.jpg

See the pic?
See the cube?

That is a 100mm cube.
Made from offcuts of 19mm / 0.75" MDF. Hollow but sealed.
5 minutes on the saw to trim the offcuts to size.
5 minutes to glue it together.
5 minutes to route the edges.
A dime's worth of glue and a nickel's of electricity.

What's it for?
Nothing!
Other than it makes me smile.
It's whimsical!
It sits on my desk and when I am thinking about something I may roll it around in my hands. It's quite nicely tactile.

If you can't comprehend any of the above then you will just have to accept that we are very different people!
One person's 'common sense' is just sterile, boring, conformity to another!

And yes, I'm weird. I made my peace with that many years ago!
I am comfortably retired after a career in IT fully embracing my weirdness, so it can't be all bad!

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Joined 2016
@robski just wondered if you had got any further with this? I'm in a not dissimilar position - building out a new garden room to do multiple duty as office, gym, cinema room, listening room, and emergency overflow bedroom. Space is at a premium, so on-wall and in-wall options are preferred.

So far I've mainly been looking at FR models (Poplar, microTower Home Theatre Appendix, etc.), and now moving my focus across to multi-way possibilities.

Joined 2012
Hi Colin.
Still a work in progress as life keeps throwing other curve-balls just lately.
However....
I have made a start on some Overnight Sensations.
IMG-20240207-WA0006.jpeg

The two stacked in the middle are standard sized OSs intended as the rears and are ready for drivers (which I have) and crossovers (which I don't). It's complicated, involving VAT, Brexit and SoundImports (who I can recommend for buying the components)...
The flanking two are complete. They are electrically and volumetrically the same as standard OSs but an inch narrower and front ported. They will be the fronts and be positioned one either side of the TV on a new frame I need to weld together! I did run the idea of them past Paul Carmody but didn't get a response. Make of that what you will! :unsure: That is not a slight on Paul: he was very helpful with a T20 tweeter/crossover question I had.
I have only tested them on my chipamp office music setup replacing the C-Notes for a few days. They sound very nice playing music but they are noticably less efficient than the C-Notes, evidenced by the sub that is part of the system needing turning down to restore the correct balance. Having said that they sound very musical and enjoyable even without the sub operating!

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Joined 2012
The Markaudios look interesting.
I really need to discover more about full range drivers.
I only have limited full-range experience with the little Fountek FE-85s that are in my Isetta boombox, but they do encourage me to look at larger options.
The CHN-110 datasheet on SoundImports has a number of sets of box diagrams so I can feel a project or two coming on...

Last edited:
Joined 2017
- how about either Markaudio's CHN110 or CHR120 in a small Scottmoose designed reflex box?

Here's what CHR120 can do

https://josephcrowe.com/blogs/news/markaudio-chr120

Also - Madisound has on sale Eminence's Beta 8A woofer for $29 - you could concoct small 2-ways with it as its motor is pretty strong.

https://www.parts-express.com/pedocs/more-info/290-404--eminence-beta-8a-cabinet-design.pdf
affordable
Eminence Beta 8a

Lou's Speakers
2 resistors on tweeter
https://www.rob-elder.com/LouC/speakers/Church/Page5.html

https://techtalk.parts-express.com/...inence-beta-8a-with-the-grs-pz1016-2-x5-piezo

"LouC (RIP)
12-13-2012, 11:19 AM
Re: Pairing the Eminence Beta 8A with the GRS PZ1016 2'x5" piezo

Doesn't get any easier or cheaper than THESE. Bass is down to about 100. Not for critical listening, but entirely adequate for parties, stage monitors, small PA, dorm wars etc. Two versions done, no regrets. Use the Goldwood tweeters, they are a known commodity."

=
Brian Steele- The Subwoofer DIY Page
Eminence Beta 8A
Blastoramas V1
http://www.diysubwoofers.org/projects/home/blastoramas/
Blastoramus V2
http://www.diysubwoofers.org/projects/home/BlastV2/