Easy newbie question - please help me get a good reclocker for USB in and USB out

Hi,
I use my Android phone with HIBY music Player or USB Audio Player Pro (both bit perfect with USB priority tweaks) to stream qobuz to my DACs. I have found several USB dongle DACs - you know, like the audioquest dragonfly, that sound good to me.

Some of these small DACs are pretty sophisticated: I have 3 R2R Dacs, one of which is 1-bit, one of which has a great FPGA. I have some delta sigmas with different chipsets which have their own characters. These all play into my home stereo right next to my turntable and standalone (old school bitstream DAC). I power the dongle DACs with a power brick (one of those fat mobile phone chargers) and use a USB hub to give them more power than a phone offers. I mention all of this because it sounds good and is pretty fun to be able to chabge your DAC every few days.

I am sure though, that a GOOD USB in and USB out reclocker between the phone and the DACs would be an improvement. Can you recommend such a beast ? if it has a powered USB out that would be bonus.

Most of the reclockers or USB decrapifiers tend to deal with i2s or convert from one connection type to another. I would be stoked if I could get this done with a USB c in and a USB c out with the magic done by the reclocker: (decrapifying, noise filtering, jitter reduction).

I don't want to overspend on the ifi galvanic USB or similar. they cost too much and do too little. I am pretty sure something pi related might be the best.

regards,
W

I am sure though, that a GOOD USB in and USB out reclocker between the phone and the DACs would be an improvement.

I'm sure not!
(Galvanic isolation is also not useful, using the phone, working from the battery).

What you are talking about,m is not real reclocker, better name - "redriver" or "signal conditioner".
It is useful, when you need a long USB cable (with 2 redrivers I used reached 10-12m), but this is not you case.

"Real reclocker" - is not at the USB side, it is between USB interface and the DAC (at I2S).
But GOOD USB, clocking from the DAC des not required any re clocker with delta-sigma DAC chips.
Ancient DAC chips required reclock at least at one line - WCLK, sometime also BCLK.

But if you still want "USB Redriver", Texas Instrument have a lot - TUSB211, TUSB217, TUSB501, etc.

I have been trying to find any supporting information showing how a USB "reclocker" can achieve anything. So far, I cannot find anything.
The USB spec uses only 4 wires. Positive and negative voltage, a Data + and Data -.
If there is a way for any "reclocking" to occur, I would like to see a proof of concept.

I am skeptical of reclockers. The USB spec has Votage +, -, Data +, -.
4 wires. None are a clock wire. So how can anything "reclock" the USB from a parallel connection on the bus ?
There can be re-transmitters. I would say they are only needed if connections are dropped and they only transmit data.

FYI It's incredible what people are willing to market that cannot possibly achieve anything.
There is a ethernet router from MikroTik. A guy identified how its internals have been added to a "specialized audiophile" router.
As far as I can determine, the really expensive audiophile product only connects to the cheap MikroTik board to provide a power supply with two wires.
Price info on the "special" router
MSRP
$2995 110V
$3295 230V
with included 5ft Foundation 12awg AC cable ($599 Value)
and SR Pink Fuse ($249.95 Value)

MikroTik_product.jpg
board_of _ether_switch.jpg
audiophile_ether_switch.jpg
audiophile_router_covered_SFP.jpg

Reactions: 1 user