• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

How much should i derate a damper diode ?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
This is what i'm doing. I need two 6cd3 for rectification, and i'm using only one
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Well, there you are. You're using the vacuum rectifier as a slow-turn-on device, essentially. Which is a perfectly good use for it. You might want to double up those silicon rectifiers (2 in series, on each side), with 4.7 MΩ resistors in parallel with each too. Reverse voltage sharing the safe way. Causes them to last well past the life of the power supply.

Just saying,
GoatGuy ✓

And thinking even more specifically, there would be high value in putting a mid sized (say 47 µF at 450 V) “first capacitor” between the stacks of solid state rectifiers and the anode of the vacuum device.

With a 470 kΩ, 1 watt bleeder-resistor across it for safety.

It'd substantially lower the peak-i-ness of current flow thru the vacuum rectifier.
Which of course would extend its life significantly.

I might be inclined to add a 100 Ω resistor in series with each rectification leg as well, to limit inrush current some.

But that's just me.
Make sure the 100 Ω resistors are 5 watt devices.

GoatGuy

schematics ... improving

For example...

Attachments

• power-sup-550-V-190320a.jpg
    power-sup-550-V-190320a.jpg
    67.5 KB · Views: 147
Last edited:
And thinking even more specifically, there would be high value in putting a mid sized (say 47 µF at 450 V) “first capacitor” between the stacks of solid state rectifiers and the anode of the vacuum device.

With a 470 kΩ, 1 watt bleeder-resistor across it for safety.

It'd substantially lower the peak-i-ness of current flow thru the vacuum rectifier.
Which of course would extend its life significantly.

I might be inclined to add a 100 Ω resistor in series with each rectification leg as well, to limit inrush current some.

But that's just me.
Make sure the 100 Ω resistors are 5 watt devices.

GoatGuy

I'm using series caps, 450v rated. Each cap has a 220k 2w resistor for balance, i believe these act like bleeder too ?

My initial plan was, to use some kind of wz68 rectifier, but build under, includes a 36ohm resistor. This will limit the peak current in the damper to ~1.07A, if i'm not mistaken, almost 1/3 derating of the peak current.

As i don't have much experience, would the 36 ohm, or let's say a 50 ohm, have any impact on the speed or dynamics? Or this is too small of a value to even bother thinking?

ureche, you state that you want to isolate ss diode hash, but I can't see how your target circuit does that compared to any other ss diode rectified power supply. If you don't want ss diode related hash exuding from all available exit paths (of which the B+ line is just one), then can I suggest not using ss diodes (shock horror).

You indicate you want to use the damper diode as a delay. Why is that? Are you trying to protect parts in your amp, and have special signage and a key lock on the power switch to avoid anyone turning off the mains switch and then back on quickly afterwards?

Did you measure your PT winding resistances to get the PSUD2 parameters for the transformer?

If you insert the damper diode before the first filter cap, then it has to handle twice the rectified current pulses compared to the more typical half-wave location. With respect to the diode datasheet not recommending use in power rectification applications, you have gone further away from that recommendation by doubling the stress on the diode. As suggested, if you place the damper diode in a filtered part of the circuit, it effectively sees dc current for which you have its 350mA max limit rating.

If you wanted to use a ss diode, then hopefully PSUD2 would have warned you about one 1kV PIV diode not being enough.

ureche, you state that you want to isolate ss diode hash, but I can't see how your target circuit does that compared to any other ss diode rectified power supply. If you don't want ss diode related hash exuding from all available exit paths (of which the B+ line is just one), then can I suggest not using ss diodes (shock horror).

You indicate you want to use the damper diode as a delay. Why is that? Are you trying to protect parts in your amp, and have special signage and a key lock on the power switch to avoid anyone turning off the mains switch and then back on quickly afterwards?

The main use for the damper was to eliminate part of the ss hash. I read somewhere that, by adding a damper diode between ss rectifiers and first cap, the b+ will be somewhat isolated from ss diode hash. The delay is just a nice thing to have, i know delay is not needed, or at least this is what i have read, the cathode stripping happens on tubes with voltage over 1000v.

Did you measure your PT winding resistances to get the PSUD2 parameters for the transformer?

I have the pt specs from manufacturer, 25ohm secondary and 3 ohm primary. Psud calculates a ~35 ohm impedance.

If you insert the damper diode before the first filter cap, then it has to handle twice the rectified current pulses compared to the more typical half-wave location. With respect to the diode datasheet not recommending use in power rectification applications, you have gone further away from that recommendation by doubling the stress on the diode. As suggested, if you place the damper diode in a filtered part of the circuit, it effectively sees dc current for which you have its 350mA max limit rating.

This, i didn't thought off.:eek:

If you wanted to use a ss diode, then hopefully PSUD2 would have warned you about one 1kV PIV diode not being enough.

The picture posted yesterday does not show, it was a quick snip from google. But i'm using 2x5408 to increase PIV to 2kV.

Which is the advantage of the circuit proposed here over the two tube (or double diode vacuum tube rectifier? In my opinion, it is redundant (and useless) to rectify two times the power from the traffo.

Yes, of course.
BUT… don't forget, it is also serving as the SLOW-TURN-ON device, that valve.
And keeping the B+ probably 50 V lower than SS rectification would do
… by itself.

Just saying,
GoatGuy ✓

It should be fine. In my experience you have to whip a damper diode pretty hard to have a problem.

That being said, the 47uF cap before the damper will be ready to instantly discharge into the 220uF cap once the diode starts conducting and has no current limiting whatsoever on it. You might hit it a bit hard there even if it is a brief moment in which this is the case because in steady-state operation the 100R resistors take care of current limiting. Normally I would say the diode can take it but it'll have a relatively cold cathode and weak electron cloud at that moment in time.

Last edited:
It should be fine. In my experience you have to whip a damper diode pretty hard to have a problem.

That being said, the 47µF cap before the damper will be ready to instantly discharge into the 220µF cap once the diode starts conducting and has no current limiting whatsoever on it. You might hit it a bit hard there even if it is a brief moment in which this is the case because in steady-state operation the 100 Ω resistors take care of current limiting. Normally I would say the diode can take it but it'll have a relatively cold cathode and weak electron cloud at that moment in time.

Yes. Your analysis is spot on, less the word instantly.

Those darn vacuum bulbs with indirectly heated cathodes tend to come alive over a 0.7 to 2.0 second interval. Partially conducting until full conductance. Offset, of course, for the thermal inertia of the whole heater-wire-insulation-cathode-cylinder-oxide couple.

Usually the turn on is about 10 seconds. Can be more, can be less. But the dI/dit during the turn-on is quite long-period compared to the 120 Hz (or 100
Hz, continent) FWB pulse stream.

Just saying,
GoatGuy ✓

Hence a general question: What's the use of a HV diode in a PSU that is intended as a soft start device exclusively? Won't the warming up stress just be transposed from the power tubes' to the diode's cathode?
Best regards!

[1] the OP (I think) said that only one HV vacuum rectifier tube was available
[2] If the stress is transposed to the silicon diodes, all the better
[3] Maybe I've not understood your question.

GoatGuy

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.