How to build an active subwoofer?

Hello

Last mount I bought 4 Reckhorn D165 drivers and I'd like to build four sealed subwoofers.

https://reckhorn.com/en/speaker/speaker-chassis/167/d-165i-subwoofer-built-in-loudspeaker

I intend to use an active filter t.rack DSP 4x4 to adapt them to the main speakers.and power each one with separate class D amplifier.

That is my first active build and I'm unsure how much power I'll need for each driver as I'll boost them in 30-40Hz with 5-6dB. The drivers are with nominal power of 80W so I think 120-150W/4ohms will be enough for each of them. Which chip to choose : TPA3116 (120W/ch), TDA7498E (160W/ch), TAS5613 (150W/ch) or something else more/less powerful? Do I need preamp or the DSP will do this?
Also may I use single PSU for all of the amplifiers, or I'll need separate ones?

Thank you.

Fanatic
Joined 2009
Paid Member
Sounds like a lot of work, comparatively speaking, there are a lot of options.

Ideally I would say get two TAS6582 instead of a single TAS6584 because of the max rating is 400VA per chip, they are nice high frequency PWM amplifiers with some Class H rail magic thrown in the mix, not to mention good noise levels and digital input. They do supposedly have some DSP capabilities as well, but as it is right now I have not been able to find any ready made designs other than the EVM.
Been hoping @lutkeveld would catch some interest in those chips.

Edit: I would avoid TPA3116, look at TPA3251 or something comparable from other manufacturers.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
With such small drivers, seems a perfect Sonotube build. With proper placement and a smaller room, this system should sound excellent. Remember to run one of the subs 180 degrees out of phase……you’ll have to experiment with which one in room for the smoothest response…..typically it’s the one closest to the listening position .