I need a DAC: PC>DAC>Krell>KEF

I am using a mini pc. crappy dongle DAC and have KRELL KST-100 amp and Kef 107/2 speakers.. I am looking to get a proper DAC, I have been checking youtube reviews for a while but none quite meet the requirements.

I don't care about Bluetooth, Wifi or ethernet streaming, I2S, HDMI ARC, I just want a DAC that supports MQA out of the PC via USB.

I like warmth, depth, airy sound, 3d sound stage, darkness in back, layers. Besides spending thousands on R2R DACs....I am not going that far. I also use TIDAL so I want MQA support....

I nearly just bought a SMSL D400PRO then watching iiWr reviews cancelled and bought D70 Pro Octo but then realized no MQA support, cancelled that too...he talked about it having large 3d stage, etc... but no MQA.

I was going to spend up to 1200~CAD if on amazon (AFFIRM monthly payments + return policy + free shipping). However if it's 500CAD great too.

From reviews, it seems ES chips are a no no--too digital/artificial and sharp/painful to listen to.

I do listen to jazz, guitar, but I also do listen to EDM/dance electro music. I like classic stage, opera, music too and even some old rock and jazz, soul, blues, whiskey blues, 50s, 60s and 80s pop.

So what do you guys run?

Last edited:
The new ESS chips are reputed to sound a lot better than the old ones. New, meaning the ones with the Hyperstream 4 modulator.

That said, don't know why anyone would consider MQA essential.

I use a diy dac far better most commercial dacs under $10,000. Well recorded CDs can sound more real than the best hi-res most people have ever heard.

OTOH, adding MQA won't fix the problems with cheap dacs, so why insist on it?

Reactions: 1 user
So what do you guys run?

Multibit DACs, NOS with a steep analog reconstruction filter.

I recently tried an ES9039-based DAC as in the past few months this new chip has received a fair amount of praise here. Well, it had a very low noisefloor, very black background, lower than my multibit DACs. But when the music got busy it seemed to lose the plot. It went back.

Holo May DAC is good.

I built, moded, and demoed a lot of stuff.

This DAC (May) is simply an unbelievable product worth every cent. Have a close look, and check its internal construction... listen to it if you cab get a chance... compare it with other DACs.

... something really amazing about this DAC... its USB card interface has 11 separate voltage regulators ... that is, just that little PCB on its own!

Also, do not waste time on DIY DACs... you'll get close to an insane amount of money worth in hardware that will never ever approach what May can do. Not to mention the two-box approach and a beautiful, professional design (visually pleasing) with very tight tolerances. It is the only DAC that will support true NOS, PCM up to 1.536MHz and DSD up to DSD1024. Paired with HQPlayer Pro and capable processor... you could experiment with all sorts of stuff.

... unless, of course, you want to do DIY... because you want to learn. That is a different story...

Also, your amplifier will blend very nicely with May; good synergy.

Yeah well, unfortunately I do want MQA, so alot of the options you guys are suggesting and I can tell you are all anti-MQA, doesn't work for me. I need an option that supports MQA as all my music is TIDAL, and while many of you collect CDs, I like to listen to old and new music and TIDAL hi-fi platform is easily accessible.

It is a platform that integrates both streaming services (including Tidal) and local files, and serves it to whatever devices tou have connected, via pc, phone, tablet.. They have MQA partnership, so it handles it within it's ecosystem, and you can use non MQA supported hardware. And there is a free trial, so you can give it a whirl. To me, this is the best solution to what you require.