identify a blown SMPS transformer

hi i have a system one w120 where the transformer blew yesterday on, the transformer is 5 pin and the only to go of is the model and some specs which i do not get any hit on google on. ive attached a pic of the transformer.
20240506_214631.jpg

Last edited:
Joined 2011
If you want more precision, load the secondary with a power resistor, until the open circuit
output AC voltage drops by 10%. That will be close to the maximum AC current that should be drawn.
Be sure to feed it the proper input voltage and frequency. Replace it with the next larger VA rating.

It looks like an SMPS standby transformer.

It's not the main one by any means (which is a ferrite core high frequency one), but one used to keep SMPS or some kind of Logic board "half awake" waiting for a starting signal, anything from a pushbutton to an IR module to detecting Audio signal at input to some kind of Microprocessor "command".

Low power because such "logic" board needs very low.
I remember seeing baskets of generic transformers such as this one at Electronics shops, originally meant for TV sets.

When you turn TV OFF by means of infrared remote control this keeps the IR receiver "awake".

Meaning: you can probably get a generic one.
Typical failure (I repaired a couple TVs with such a problem) is that hair thin primary wire breaks open either by corrosion (humid environment) or bumps (moving TV in a car trunk) or similar.
Repair means buying a new transformer but they are dirt cheap (5 bucks or so, less if surplus)

No need to "upgrade" it, all I saw were open as described, none was "burnt"

In fact, thin primary wire works as a low current fuse, so they are typically not fused, go figure.

Reactions: 3 users
13V doesn't look to me to be a standard secondary voltage. If you source an EI split bobbin trafo (looks just from eyeballing to be in the 1-2VA region) you may be able to remove turns from a 15-0-15V secondary to get down to 13-0-13V. But you'd have to disassemble the trafo to get to the secondary winding.

Reactions: 1 user
but VA rating looks at least 10X as great.
What he should pay for that looks 10X as great also... Depends on the degree of "pinch" you're in, maybe ~$25 plus ship isnt bad to get up and running, if you can jam a bigger unit inside somehow.

I assume China located parts ship to Europe as well. Here's another close relative, but only 12-0-12 or 15-0-15 with 220 that's somewhat cheaper; https://www.ebay.com/itm/155702183357. Here's one where you can actually select the VA rating from a drop-down! https://www.ebay.com/itm/254832864558 But same, 12-0-12 or 15-0-15. That 13 number is hard to get a hit on.

It will work electrically , not sure it will fit.

I was originally interested in those surplus TV standby trafos , very convenient size for, say, preamps, but voltages were "useless", say single 35V winding, not center tapped, stuff like that.

Next time I go downtown to the Electronics neighbourhood will check if they are still available.