Improving a cheapish tweeter?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
diyAudio Member
Joined 2007
I have a pair of cheap 32mm tweeters here I removed from a set of experimental speakers a while ago.
For the Aussies they came from Jaycar and were sold as a "High-Power" mid-range which they never were having an Fs of 750Hz.
The central vent hole in the pole piece is 16mm in diameter and what looks like polyester fabric in the very small chamber at the rear.

FerroFluid is still liquid
Not the smoothest tweeter I have ever played with and I'm wondering it is worthwhile removing the black plastic cap from the rear and making something a little larger filled with wool

Attachments

• IMG_0824.JPG
    IMG_0824.JPG
    106.1 KB · Views: 222
  • IMG_0825.JPG
    IMG_0825.JPG
    105 KB · Views: 223
  • IMG_0826.JPG
    IMG_0826.JPG
    129.2 KB · Views: 223
  • IMG_0827.JPG
    IMG_0827.JPG
    104 KB · Views: 222
  • IMG_0828.JPG
    IMG_0828.JPG
    129 KB · Views: 222
  • IMG_0829.JPG
    IMG_0829.JPG
    128.6 KB · Views: 86
  • IMG_0830.JPG
    IMG_0830.JPG
    121.8 KB · Views: 89
  • IMG_0832.JPG
    IMG_0832.JPG
    126.4 KB · Views: 93
diyAudio Member
Joined 2007
I bought these S/H for not very much money a long time ago; so if I stuff up any modifications I'm not loosing much. I have seen similar tweeters with the pole piece hole filled with foam, with other fibres and with thin felt pad over the top of the pole piece too.
All of which I would consider worthwhile playing with.
If it works out the intended use is new party speakers using an old RadioShack 10 inch midrange crossed as high as I can get away with if I use passive 3k as the XO frequency the old 10" will be OK with a simple first order electrical roll-off and a Zoble conjugate

diyAudio Member
Joined 2007
That was so easy I forgot to take photos.
Taking the plastic back off took a bit of effort but easy enough I did as Van Wormer and wrapped some long fibre wool in thin open foam and inserted it in the hole. I then added a thin disc of polyester felt and siliconed the backs back on. I think the seller of these S/H units had also been playing with these, different glues and different felt plugs at the bottoms of the pole piece hole

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.