Oldest amp you still use?

This amp was built by dad middle 70's. Originally it had AD161/162 output. But in the 90's the trafo burned and I put inside the same box TDA2003. But it didn't perform really good so several years ago I placed a STK power amplifier. Tone control is TL084 and the original input selector now commands HCF4052 so there isn't any noise when swiching. More or less 10/12W.

Attachments

• 20221210_071942.jpg
    20221210_071942.jpg
    192.6 KB · Views: 113
Just revived an 1972 Leak Stereo Delta 70 amplifier which I got from a close friend. It was locked together with a Thorens TD 150 MKII in a cabinet for a very long time. The lytics needed a replacement, which I finished today for the Input boards and the amp starts already singing again. Couldn't resist to listen to it even if I did not finish the restoration of the power boards.
Joao Gilberto and Stan Getz on Vinyl sound already quite good through a pair of Odeons connected to it. Not the most refined and crystal clear musical presentation, but the kind of singing smoothness embedded in perfect rhythm timing Gilberto / Getz can do so well. I am sure, once completely finished, this will be a gem.

Leak Delta 70_1_s.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
Good choice!

I like Leaks of that era. I've a Leak 2000. I like it as it has multiple inputs.

So as well as the radio, I can play, more equipment, some of which I've had for nearly fifty years.

This,

This

These

And there's still one input unused.

I like it that much That I've a spare in my office.

P1050771.JPG

No trailing cables anywhere.

I am still using my Sumo Polaris bought new decades ago, but will alternate with my F5s which were built a few weeks after the thread was started on DIYAUDIO, or the Millet uprated Engineers Amplifier (50W). I have an Aleph which is used in another location and L like it very much.

Somewhere in the Stygian underworld of DIYAUDIO is the Pioneer SX838 mod thread in which I reported the gutted output section and replaced it with vertical MOSFETs and a new VAS. I found the preamp section was very lacking, so it is still in the process of being worked. (The preamp had little headroom).

Last edited by a moderator:
Oldest commercial amp currently in use - a Marantz 1530, but mostly as a phono pre-amp right now as it's playing through my Yukon Gold spud amp.
My oldest DIY amp in constant use is my TGM6 which is a re-engineered Pioneer Home Theatre amplifier (I modified the circuit for clearly improved sound quality)

In a holiday home I regulary use (but not own) the system consists now of a Marantz 1200 from 1973 that was rebuild (a major restauration) in 2020 that drives a pair of (modern) Harbeth HL5+ speakers. In my own house i have a 1983 Luxman C-02 preamp (recapped in 2018) that get used from time to time (i got a few preamps and gear moves between my rooms all the time here).

And i also got a 1968 Grundig Mandello Deluxe amp, saved from the broken radio console that is used sometimes. It's not in a case, but i can still connect an input and connect speakers on the bare frame, and it still works like that. Before 2019 this was my kitchen radio, but i disassembled it because the wooden case was falling appart, way beyond restauration. It was inherited in 2000 from my grandfather who bought it originally in 1968, and i still gonna build that back in a cabinet i think with clean and safe I/O connectors and a knop on the volume pot in stead of turning the bare axis. It's only 6 watt with the Philips AD161 and AD162 germanium output transistors but even if it's a bit noisy, it still sounds very good to my ears. The rest of the console but the drivers is trash(ed) in 2019 altough and the drivers are on the shelf, but not very usefull i think.

Reactions: 1 user