Open-Source Dolby/DTS decoder?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
It depends on what you're trying to do. I don't know too much about ALSA but I wouldn't be surprised at all if it supports the codec. ffmpeg has already been put on a raspberry pi and it has HDMI so you could look at that as a possibility for decoding streams (Like TV HDMI ARC out, which is what I want, so I can process it for my soundbar).

If you just want to re-encode dvd's then yeah you don't need extra hardware for sure.

Background: I have an (CM6206-based) USB soundcard that can do 5.1 or 7.1. It has analogue outputs and one S/PDIF output. The chip allows me to route individual channel pairs to the S/PDIF, but when doing so it mutes front L/R.

What I would like to do is to have front L/R and center+Sub output on the analogue outputs and L/R Surround on S/PDIF. If needed from a different card.

I took a glance at the documentation and see no hardware reason for that muting, weird.

Anyways, you could definitely do something like decode on a pc and send the audio over two USB connections, then you're just using the two soundcards as DACs really. Syncing with video will be your pain in that scenario depending on how fast you can decode the audio.

No, I see no reason for that either. I tried mailing the manufacturer, but they did not care to reply... :(

Other than dropping L/R, it works nicely. Wrote a small program to wiggle the bits and it works, even if it is playing. Ie I get the desired channels out on S/PDIF where I pipe it to a DIR9100.

My idea was to extend the S/PDIF over IR, then receiver, DIT9100 and D-class amp for the rear speakers.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.