PSU capacitor... Electrolytic, MKP, oil filled

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
yesterday I was speaking with a friend about how to make the best preamp,

well we have spoke many times about:

the best tubes, best transformer, best load, best coupling etc..

My friend say that MKP are better to the PSU because load and download the power faster that the rest and this help to control better the bass frequencies.

Thomas Mayer normally use OIL filled capacitor, the rest use the standard electrolytic same times with smaller MKP 0,1uf.

I would like to open a discussion abut the PSU capacitors and the experiences with them that justified the winner.

Thomas Mayer normally use OIL filled capacitor

I might be wrong but i think CJ were the first high end manufacturer to release a preamp using entirely MKP filtering capacitors.

Sounds like an interesting idea, but has not worked for me. Even with choke filtering and a prodigious amount of capacitance i feel the sound is too lightweight for my taste. Yes, electrolytics do add some blur, but also help achieve what i perceive as a normal tonal balance, proper bass weight and solidity.

It is perhaps down to the particular capacitor types used and of course the way the rest of the circuit is balanced

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.