Renault 16

In the 70s did a 500km trip from Toowoomba to Bollon and back the next day for a bachelors and spinsters ball, in a friends Renault 10 IIRC—heroic little car. For some reason I fell in love with Citroens had a costly love affair with a CX2200 in the 80s. i changed to the BX in 88, very nice. My repair bills helped pay for mechanics beautiful SM I reckon.

I'm a big Renault fan and my favourite is the R16TS. A while back, a guy here in WA had a mint low miles example I could have bought, but it was to be my only car and I couldn't justify using such a mint example as a daily driver.

I had an R12 Break (Wagon) for a few years, and my son's first car was a Clio. I then had a Peugeot 405Mi16 (fantastic car) and now have a 206 GTi to play around in. I'm a bit of a fan of the Peugeot philosophy (well, formerly) of making their cars with a bit of controllable passive rear-steer. The 405 was brilliant in this respect; great fun in the wet. Shame the series one's interior fell apart!

My brother has had a succession of RenaultSport Meganes, currently owning a Red Bull Edition RS 265 (RB8}. Quite a fast car.

As for the steel rusting, I know that Alfa Romeo bought steel for the Sud from Russia which was poor quality, but I'm not sure if this applied to Renault. I did wonder whether the Melbourne made Renaults were less well painted than their French made counterparts. My 12 (made in Heidelberg) rusted terribly.

Last edited:
Never owned a Renault 16 but I remember them well. My wife once had a dream (nightmare actually) in which I arrived home the proud owner of a rusty 16 estate (wagon). In the dream, it was christened The Rustbucket, and was pretty much grounds for divorce.

Owned several Renaults more recently starting with a 2005 Megane, up to a current Zoe. None have led to divorce. 🤣

Last edited: