RIAA preamp into my sony gx69es

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Disabled Account
Joined 2004
one question arise when i look at various other designs, why there is a decouping cap at the input 9C502), i mean, why in the hell would there be a DC comming from the cartridge ? i understand the paranoia behind this for consumer market/mass production....?? but for a pure minimalist aspect and to reduce components in the audio path....

PRR

Joined 2003
Paid Member
...why there is a decouping cap at the input 9C502), i mean, why in the hell would there be a DC comming from the cartridge ?....

Coupling, or blocking. Not decoupling.

If you mean the first plan in the thread, the '4570 opamp is a fancy '741. The input bias current can be as high as 400nA (half a microAmp). Is this OK in the cartridge? Who knows?? The conservative thing to do is block it. The blocking cap must be "large" compared to the ~~5k of the cartridge in bass or it encourages 1/f noise (rumble).

Disabled Account
Joined 2004
Coupling, or blocking. Not decoupling.

If you mean the first plan in the thread, the '4570 opamp is a fancy '741. The input bias current can be as high as 400nA (half a microAmp). Is this OK in the cartridge? Who knows?? The conservative thing to do is block it. The blocking cap must be "large" compared to the ~~5k of the cartridge in bass or it encourages 1/f noise (rumble).

sorry english is not my native language :worship:
my design uses a Jfet input opamp and i test it with some others like ne5532, lm4562 and some OPA. i am only experimenting. with a 4562 and "no" coupling cap i can say it sounds much more better, presence is far more defined.
thanks.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.