Salvage Receiver to Subwoofer Amp

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Aight I know this has been asked before probably a lot but I haven't seen anyone providing information on how to make a subwoofer amplifier. My end goal is to use a small car subwoofer in a strategically designed box for home use. I'm into rap and dubstep with long heavy basslines so I'm not too worried about home theatre or bass pedaling.
Anyway I have a completely disassembled Onkyo tx-sr603x receiver along with a PDF of the service manual (which can be found easily online) that shows every single thing inside this receiver. The transistors used are c5242/a1962, I'm seeing a 47uf 50v cap on each channel, a MPR 5W R22J power resistor on each channel, along with some other tiny things I can't read. I got two big 10000uf caps too. And a wicked heatsink. And the power supply which I believe is like 230v. I also have a little Altec Lansing computer system subwoofer which I believe I can use somehow for the bass management aka low pass filter and volume knob? I want a single RCA input to use with another functional receiver with subwoofer out.

MY QUESTION is can I salvage some of these parts to make a mono subwoofer amp and if so what's the maximum output I can expect at 4 or 2 ohm? This is my first time taking on any kind of task like this so bear with me. Don't tell me to just buy one or do something other than what I'm asking. I want to do this :D It's personal...

Even assuming the output devices could handle the duty cycle described, it'll likely be the low impedance load that'd give the power supply the most grief. There's good reasons why most modern multichannel receivers are rated for speaker impedance of 6ohms or higher when all channels driven, and that none include amp stages for the LFE channel.

You'd probably be better served by looking at class D units specifically designed for such loads.

If it were me, I'd just do it. You have got the parts already. Perhaps another proven schematic for a good sounding amp to make your work a little easier. I have found a good source of amp schematics from the G.Randy Slone's books on amplifier design. In particular the Pro 60 schematic works excellently, proven design, and recently I have designed my own boards to avoid further making my life hard by hardwiring components which I had practiced for awhile. Perhaps you should wire auto drivers in series to make the impedance look more amp friendly. Nothing to lose. As in the service manual of your amp, you have a power supply capable of 90W/8 ohm, and approx 140W/4 ohm. So in ay case, very conservatively speaking, you should be able to harvest at least 100W at whatever low impedance. Good luck and take care!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.