Semisouth Aleph J?

Hi RainFall, I have one IRFP240 in the CCS, and one SemiSouth in the output as per CodyT’s schematic. The only difference is that I have C5 as 5pf because I ordered as per the original BOM instead of the 10pf suggested my Cody.
945663d1619269627-semisouth-aleph-4dad2bdc-ac74-47de-9b02-402b0fc6d914-jpeg

what is the purpose of R20-23 in series with the speaker? any positive current feedback?
is it increasing or reducing the damping factor?

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
Books are much faster way of learning than random questions

you obviously didn't read cited patent; in case you did, you would find more to read tonight

sorry, I have no impression that you're (generally) connecting dots at all, and nobody can't do that instead of you

maybe I'm wrong, in which case I'm sure that you'll soon get reply from someone

Sorry if I ask stupid questions and I am not smart to connect the dots. I only try to learn the best I can
Indeed I will read the patent of the aleph modulated CCS.
Thanks for the link to the aleph 2 article where it is easily explained.

So if I understand correctly the J2 has no modulated CCS while the aleph J has it.
What amp do you advise to build wit semisouth? Aleph J of this thread or J2?

Last edited:
Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
I'm still not smart, but that is not preventing me to do my homework, when someone politely point me in right direction

first read everything you can find about PL Aleph principle, then search for Mu Follower material to chew on, simply because that is used in J2 and some other amplifiers

say that ACA is using it too

you need to learn to recognize construction blocks in same fashion as recognizing Lego puzzles ....... then start trying to understand individual puzzle pieces, not entire puzzle picture at once

if you don't do that, you proceed asking "what is best?" types of question all over the Forum, without actual progress and - in the end, you'll just end without gettinh replies to your questions

if you don't want to connect dots, find another hobby where you are willing to, where you can build some higher level of understanding which leads to much greater levels of enjoyment - and exactly that needs to be major reason of someone's hobby;

me - there are myriad of areas where I'm 158% clueless, but I also have no interest in them ..... so I'm just not trying them at all

First Watt site - Articles page - there is wealth of information ......... for instance - I'm still often visiting A75 article as nice bed-time reading peace ......

Whoa! After weeks of silence a real V1 boards!
Will be looking forward to see those complete and extracting super nice music. :)
Please let me know if you will have any issues.
I don't expect any. Buy you never know.

P.S.: I am not good at reading resistor stripes and I see you print Cody schematics. R5, R6 should be 10K for those particular boards. Typing this just in case. :)

I was asked for a BOM for V1 boards.
Here it is in attach in the form of a text file with various variables.
Please dont be too strict to BOM and use parts that you prefer.
I personally plan to use Takman REY metal film resitors and a few of them would be.. erm.. Shikoh TAF's. :D

Attachments

• Aleph J SS V1.txt
    8.9 KB · Views: 116