The making of: The Two Towers (a 25 driver Full Range line array)

Haven't been working on Vandermill Audio that much lately. I was hard at work with the Vandermill Audi instead. :giggle:

Vandermil-Audi.jpg

Learned how to do some minor paint correction etc. As I don't use it as much as I used to, it's now become my fun car.
Lovely to drive on the weekends!

Reactions: 3 users
Como você não tem muito espaço atrás de seus arrays, acho que a única maneira de fazer isso é usar um tweeter com um guia de onda apontado para cima. Meu pensamento é apontá-los para algum tipo de desarmador montado no teto. Não acho que você tenha espaço suficiente para pendurar desarmadores. Os difusores devem ser curvados para distribuir a reflexão.
I saw these tweeters and I immediately remembered your idea. They would be pointed vertically, not horizontally. Mounted on the back they would be unnoticeable.

Attachments

• IMG_2526.jpeg
    IMG_2526.jpeg
    100.9 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_2527.jpeg
    IMG_2527.jpeg
    63.8 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_2528.jpeg
    IMG_2528.jpeg
    56.2 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_2529.jpeg
    IMG_2529.jpeg
    65.8 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_2530.jpeg
    IMG_2530.jpeg
    63.5 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_2531.jpeg
    IMG_2531.jpeg
    42.4 KB · Views: 20
With a coil in series you still have damping where needed. Yet you swamp the difference of "Le" while the cone is moving. Many examples of how that can lower distortion.
But it would need more EQ-boost on top.

With how I set up my current arrays I went out of my way to limit movement of the cones, which will also limit the variations in "Le". This will also have a similar effect, to lower distortion.

I thought you might enjoy this quote from an Art Welter post in multiway last night

"
I found the TC9FD subjectively to sound cleaner than any compression drivers at high volumes, melted it's voice coil off the former with no sound of distress, while a 3" diaphragm driver well within it's thermal range at the same SPL sounded harsh and IM (Inter Modulation) distorted.
The Purple TC9FD clearly is the winner in output below 600Hz, but with no phase plug, response is erratic above 3kHz."

He compared TC9FD to a few compression drivers, all on the same horn.
Small FRs especially with modern cone materials do not have/make many faults if well used.

Interesting to hear that compression drivers fall off.... is it due to distortion? Or the way they distribute the sound?

In relation to efficiency compression drivers can be quite free of distortion due to horn loading