Ting Labs Voltage Monitoring

My house insurance carrier has offered me a free power monitoring service including $1000.00 damage coverage due to electrical faults.

The service is provided by Ting Labs .

I get a weekly event summary, daily graphs of voltage variations as seen by the monitoring service.

Does anyone else have this?

Thoughts on it?

Attachments

• TING.png
    TING.png
    35.8 KB · Views: 29
Mine offered that a couple years ago, it was advertised to alert on possible arcing that could lead to a fire. What I didn't like at the time is I had to agree to let it send information back to them on all items on my network. That didn't make any sense as something they'd need to collect.
I also didn't see what the cancellation procedure on it was. Since the insurance company was paying for it, could i just unplug it or what?

It seemed like a better solution would be to change the circuit breakers to arc fault ones. But even then I was told by someone in the industry that house fires starting from arcs like that are so rare that they number lower than the ones that people purposely start themselves.

Last edited:
According to the instructions on their site, the app asks for the network and authorization to connect to it:
"During the installation process you’ll be asked to select a Wi-Fi network from a list of detected networks, and to authenticate to that network if it is secure (aka, encrypted; see below for a note on secure networks). This one-time process of authentication is no different from allowing a new phone, tablet, laptop, or other devices to join your network."

I don't find anything on their site about gathering information about items on the network so they may have updated their privacy policy. It is tempting to try it. I may contact my insurance company and see what would be involved in cancelling it if I decided I didn't want it.

Last edited: