Type of attachments

Status
Not open for further replies.
Joined 2003
Paid Member
Jan,
The following extensions are allowed: .7z, .7zip, .asc, .brd, .cal, .doc, .dxo, .frd, .gif, .jpe, .jpeg, .jpg, .mdat, .pdf, .png, .psd, .rar, .req, .sch, .step, .stl, .stp, .svg, .tar, .txt, .xlsm, .xsim, .zip, .zma, .mp4, .qsch

No docx.. :)

Hugo

Reactions: 1 user
Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
When you convert from .docx to .doc you sometimes get the message that some features are not converted.
The .docx file is zipped, basically. You can change the extension to .zip and open it with a zip tool. Sometimes you will find more than one file in there. Usually the main file and some assets.

But perhaps there are some features of newer Word versions that just won't save in .doc I have put in a request to add .docx and .xlsx to the list of permitted attachments.

Reactions: 1 user
Neurochrome.com
Joined 2009
Paid Member
Probably because the XenForo default includes .doc and not .docx. That's not necessarily a deliberate omission. I bet .docx was just never added. XenForo has a lot of settings and unless there's an issue most will be left at their factory default.

One possible workaround would be to use Google Docs instead of Word, but that's probably not that useful for Jan.

Tom

Joined 2017
Paid Member
I agree - the docx format is very common and has been the current word format since 2007. I also see that the Excel xlsm format is allowed but not xls or xlsx. Odd since maco-enabled xlsm is far more of a risk than the other two.

If the allowed list is updates, I'd suggest adding .docx, .xls and .xlsx

Reactions: 2 users
Joined 2006
Paid Member
I want to be able to attach a Word file in a PM so that the other party can make changes and comments in Track Changes.

Jan
Just change the file extension docx to some allowed file extension (doc, pdf etc) and tell the receiver to change the file extension back to docx before opening the document. But I agree that common file extensions should be allowed, just don't think everybody can handle them...

XenForo has a lot of settings and unless there's an issue most will be left at their factory default.
Looking at the list of file formats posted earlier, that list is most definitely not default anymore.

I can also hope that people who run such discussion platforms, are either understanding what they're doing, or have the capability of typing something in their favorite search engine to find the answer and solution.

I don't understand all the silly workarounds for something that's just changing a setting?
(Probably just adding a word to a list).

Well unless they have to reset the entire server for it, which seems rather odd if that would be the case....

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Just change the file extension docx to some allowed file extension (doc, pdf etc) and tell the receiver to change the file extension back to docx before opening the document.
That's a good idea. We can just allow a single attachment type and make a list of how to rename them when we receive them. What's a few hours work for a diyaudio fan, ehh?

Jan

Status
Not open for further replies.