Ultimate Open Baffle Gallery

New fun project. Bass guitar speaker and 5cm Markaudio mid tweeter.
photo_lbass15_maop5-jpg.1311300

Reactions: 4 users
The cheap bass driver does well the job. I also choose it perhaps my assertion was false : it must sound good because for musicians who play bass. In the bass area it works well, precise. In the lower mid could be a little clear, neutral but it is well done. A dedicated driver could do better like a 8". In the future I'll try a 15ob350 to listen if better...
I would like use a lower order crossover to have 4 octaves (150-2000) of coverage instead 2 (300-1000) but the woofer has a negative impact in treble due to the 2.6kHz breakup.
The mid tweeter is extraordinary good, very neutral, very precise. The midrange is clear, can handle the 15". The treble is better than my 1" dome in the sense of dimension. The 1" seems to go higher in frequency but less realistic. Honestly I don't have experience to say which is better MAOP 5 or 1" dome. The sound of the MAOP 5 reminds me my SEAS magnesium drivers. I have some other projects for the MAOP 5.

Reactions: 1 user
Greetings all,

as I threatened in post #4,381, I performed measurements with different baffle widths, adjusted by taping extensions of different length, different angles - including perpendicular to and parallel with the baffle, symmetrical and one sided, and determined that symmetrical extensions, each about 3.5 inch, gave me about 3.2 dB improvement without significantly changing the response character, namely the difference between the peaks and thoughts.

I then bought an 8 inch Quik-Tube for the side wings and I used a different diameter tube for the upper portion with a shelf for the wave-guide.

As you may be able to ascertain form the picture, I have not mounted the drivers yet, since despite the curvature it seems to me that the new structure is little out of proportions. So, I have a friend who is a painter (artist) to come and recommend a paint scheme for it to appear taller. I know that it is a prototype, but if further testing shows promise, I will need that anyway.

20240518_174618.jpg

Kindest regards,

M

Last edited: