Wave Energy - The Best Solution

All one needs for a household for energy is 7500 plus square meters worth of solar-cells...don't get conned by that "solar companies" malarkey , with a driveways worth of surface area for electricity generation.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------Rick...

Two particular issues facing wave energy proponents here (Oz) are that of tenure over the sea bed and planning approval. The proposals of which I'm aware have been located outside State waters and the Commonwealth (Australian) government does not have authority for planning approvals. There could be a long term lease issued over the sea bed as done for aquaculture projects, but that still leaves the issue of planning approval and approvals for on-shore works.

I was involved with three wave energy proposals in a professional capacity some years ago, so the situation may have changed to more easily facilitate those projects; I think there may be some pilot projects which are under way.

Geoff

Joined 2005
Paid Member
All one needs for a household for energy is 7500 plus square meters worth of solar-cells...don't get conned by that "solar companies" malarkey , with a driveways worth of surface area for electricity generation.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------Rick...
Hi. I hope that I'm not wrong here, (I'm planning out my new garage), but using an average output of 150 watts per M2 (quite conservative) and 8 hrs of output per day gives approaching 120KWH per day for a 100M2 PV install. If using some battery storage (for overcast days), I'd have thought that would be enough for most insulated homes.
Would it not?

"How Much Power Does a Solar Panel Produce?
Solar panels are rated by the amount of power they can produce in ideal conditions, typically around 1,000 watts per square meter. However, in real-world conditions, they usually only produce 200 to 300 watts per square meter. Most residential solar panels produce between 1 and 3 kilowatts (kW) of power. That might not sound like much, but it’s enough to power a small home or business.
Panel size and the cells’ efficiency determine the power ratings. For example, a standard solar panel may be rated at 200 watts, while a more efficient panel may be rated at 400 watts.

Solar installers will determine the correct panel size based on the amount of electricity needed to run your home.

Many solar systems generate more power than your home needs. You can add solar battery storage to your system to store this excess energy for later use. Solar energy storage can power your home at night or on cloudy days. It can also serve as emergency backup power during a blackout. If you have a grid-tied system, you can use the energy stored in your solar batteries to power your home during high electricity rates, helping you save more money. You can add a solar battery during your initial installation or later on."

Joined 2019
Paid Member
are that of tenure over the sea bed and planning approval.
Planning approval is a big deal. We've spent decades layering the regulation to ensure that the right thing gets built in the right place. NGOs, activists, and local groups have very effectively used this system to delay or halt projects and have been keen to demand more legislation.

So far in the UK there's been little debate about all the pylons, substations, energy storage facilities that'll have to be built. But with legislation as it is, some of these projects could be delayed by years, even decades if there are sufficient opponents. We are a small island and almost every development is going to upset someone.

So, somewhat ironically, the activists are already talking about the repeal of the legislation they've campaigned for over the last several decades. Still, that's part of the reason activists have worked hard to get 'climate crisis' into the lexicon. If its a crisis you have a reason/justification to compel.

Planning approval is beginning to take so long that wave or tidal facilities could either end up swamped or high and dry before they get approval.
The reason for this is that celestial climate change has been largely ignored over the past decade or so or longer.
Celestial climate change is like an ice age driver and at the glacial pace planning applications take we could end up with thousands of misguided projects being built at great cost due to natural celestial change taking place.
Our orbit around the sun is not perfectly round and the difference in day length between winter and summer vary over differing numbers of years and do add and oppose each other leading to ice ages.
All you need to do is to find a vintage toy gyroscope that still works and watch it in action. It will show you how the summer/winter day length part of it works.
Our non round orbit around the sun means that we can be closest to the sun at either the equinox or at the solstice cycling the temperature difference between summer and winter.
Finally we have in the the news recently the solar wind. This contains charged particles that are being laid down on non conductive ice forming giant capacitors at the poles wired in series across the magnetic core of the earth. What on earth happens if they flash over?
Where on earth did those pundits get there flux capacitor from so that they can claim that they went back and ended the ice ages with man made climate change?

That's a little big larger than a football pitch (soccer). Is that what you meant?

Joined 2016
Paid Member
Hi. I hope that I'm not wrong here, (I'm planning out my new garage), but using an average output of 150 watts per M2 (quite conservative) and 8 hrs of output per day gives approaching 120KWH per day for a 100M2 PV install. If using some battery storage (for overcast days), I'd have thought that would be enough for most insulated homes.
Would it not?
You are assuming gas heating or similar. If like many places you are entirely electric, then that estimate is way off.... Surprising how much less generation you get from a cloudy sky.
Not to mention in the UK you need most energy in the winter, when days are short and average sun is less...

Joined 2005
Paid Member
https://projectbritain.com/weather/sunshine.htm

https://www.timeanddate.com/sun/@2637432

I think you should check your figures. Using an air source heat pump at a COP of 2.5 to three, and an energy efficient house, there is probably enough electricity for the home year round in the south east of England. (Using night rates for heating water lessens the (heating) load if needed.) If one were to use a GSHP be it with a couple of boreholes or a ground coil, winter efficiencies rise significantly.

True running costs in winter will be higher using ASHP's but level out probably during the whole year.

That's a little big larger than a football pitch (soccer). Is that what you meant?
Yeah, it is unfortunate...when one has to have their own power-production, nearly equal in cost to the cost of the home & property. But just look at it in a wildly speculative future scenario...what happens to individuals when another Middle-East crisis erupts...& Saudi Arabia cuts off supplies of crude oil ???...lines of cars at gas stations & Five-gallon limits, at double the price it was just three weeks prior?
People have severely poor memories...With your own solely Sun driven electric power production, & the costs have been already paid off in full, you're then insulated from such catastrophic world or local events.
Can YOU deal with a doubling, tripling, quadrupling of energy prices?...what will you do?, not heat your home?, but it's three degrees C outside...

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------Rick...

Joined 2016
Paid Member
https://projectbritain.com/weather/sunshine.htm

https://www.timeanddate.com/sun/@2637432

I think you should check your figures. Using an air source heat pump at a COP of 2.5 to three, and an energy efficient house, there is probably enough electricity for the home year round in the south east of England. (Using night rates for heating water lessens the (heating) load if needed.) If one were to use a GSHP be it with a couple of boreholes or a ground coil, winter efficiencies rise significantly.

True running costs in winter will be higher using ASHP's but level out probably during the whole year.
See the flag? Northern Scotland :)
I have real data, and have carefully costed and quoted various systems for a family house.
24 solar panels, 9kW system, with 10+ years of data on it's production (and a reasonable feed in tariff). Plus I have 30 years of real weather data including insolation w/m^2 data. I've costed battery systems, ASHP and GSHP but the repayment time is massive, not worth the investment even at current energy prices. It helped that the VAT on batteries is now withdrawn (although grid connection is still expensive for a battery system) but there are no grants for heat pumps for heating not using heated water systems - ie all electric houses in areas with no gas.
As a side issue, if the powers that be were actually green serious, they would put the green levy on gas not electricity, and remove the ridiculous standing charge system. It's crazy that gas is so much cheaper than electricity!

Finger’s crossed
Absolutely
fusion was always “35 years off
Yes. And in my experience it's always been brought up as an alternative to saving energy, limiting pollution in other ways or using known emission free energy sources cause the faultless fusion was right around the corner. Imagine if nothing had be done to halt pollution untill fusion arrives.

Tidal energy is too variable
As solar and wind. Not an exclusive or unsurmountable problem since you can always sell to an area with calm or cloudy weather. Even store the energy. Energy storage is in massive growth.
decommissioning the UK’s seven ageing nuclear power stations has nearly doubled to £23.5bn
Good point. I wonder why it goes like that. Productivity is always rising, so everything should become cheaper when inflation is deducted. If you go back long way enough 23bn equalled 10bn in that times money, so really a demise. I don't know.
because it means harvesting energy from the moon!
I like that.

Reactions: 1 user