Acoustic Horn Design – The Easy Way (Ath4)

Sure is, I managed to get good measurements of the throat of the redcatt coaxial by knocking it of its glue joint so v2 as I showed in the image is printing right now. With a nicer fitting against the metal.
This test print of the surfaces that will touch fits really nice.

Attachments

• IMG_5800.jpeg
    IMG_5800.jpeg
    739.9 KB · Views: 87
  • IMG_5801.jpeg
    IMG_5801.jpeg
    346.1 KB · Views: 87
  • IMG_5799.jpeg
    IMG_5799.jpeg
    511.4 KB · Views: 87
A big tip for co-entrant style multiple-entry horns;

The holes will f*ck up the hf response badly because of all the internal reflections.
This can be solved for a very large part by covering the mid-holes with an acoustic mesh (like a gore acoustic vent https://www.gore.com/products/gore-acoustic-vents-industrial-applications) with just about the right acoustic resistance (use the lumped part of abec to test this) to be "open" for the mid frequencies while being "closed " for the HF.

The membrane should be reactive, not resistive (meaning not porous)
hint; even a bit of painters masking tape could work..

Kees

Reactions: 3 users
Absolutely true in what you say. I have tried using open cell foam from phase plug of the tweeter and up to the ports and I plan to try going beyond the ports as well.
But you gave me an idea. I will print a thin insert like the one in the photo but without any opening to see the effect with and without the midrange insertion ports in real life.

Attachments

• IMG_5572.jpeg
    IMG_5572.jpeg
    271.4 KB · Views: 62
Sure is, I managed to get good measurements of the throat of the redcatt coaxial by knocking it of its glue joint so v2 as I showed in the image is printing right now. With a nicer fitting against the metal.
It's much easier to work with a driver like
https://www.bcspeakers.com/en/products/coaxial/6-5/8/6hcx51
since it has a larger voice coil and much more space to play around with.
This is something I'm working on at the moment:
coax1.JPG

I've had some success with this Oberton driver as it has a very shallow wide angle "adapter"
The tricky part is that a lot of these smaller compression driver can't play very low and you kind of want them to go down to 1k
Maybe a better way of doing it will be using a coax with a tweeter and making a phase plug on that :)
Kind of what PHL offer...
They also have woofers with just holes, so you can attach your own CD on it.

Maybe you can even try to remove the aluminum piece in your driver, as it should have no effect on the magnetic field.

Attachments

• IMG_5660.jpeg
    IMG_5660.jpeg
    348.6 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_5659.jpeg
    IMG_5659.jpeg
    191.4 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_5661.jpeg
    IMG_5661.jpeg
    350.8 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_5663.jpeg
    IMG_5663.jpeg