An Idea for an Audio Men's Shed - worldwide SIG

An Idea for an Audio Men's Shed

Ideas for a Men's Audio Shed SIG (Special Interest Group). Continuing in the article below I highlight a project I’m currently involved in at my local Men's Shed Association. Should my idea be of interest to you, may I suggest discussing it with your local association before posting comments. Meanwhile, I have pitched this idea to the UK Men’s Shed Association who may, or may not, broadcast this idea to their members - awaiting response.

Firstly, I am designing an enclosure for DIY Hi-Fi loudspeakers and I will build a pair with the help of my local Men’s Shed. I thought that if I share the enclosure’s schematic and construction tips with other Men's Sheds worldwide a made to order flat-pack package could be made available on request for local pick-up. Such an activity may, or may not, become a revenue opportunity. Personally, before anyone asks, I’m avoiding scope creep and don’t plan more than one or two designs. If you think this would be a good project for you local Men's Shed please share this information and ask them to pitch this to the association, should mine get overlooked. In the near future I'll post my proposed enclosure design in the Loudspeaker forum.

Secondly, I am also in the process of designing a 10 - 20W amp to power the speakers. Again, I thought that if I share the schematic with Men’s Sheds who have a member with knowledge of using a multimeter, to assist testing a completed amplifier, this might be an opportunity for those with an interest in an audio electronics project. I must emphasise that this second project is very much work in progress! I have a design I’m testing with a Spice simulator. Should any reader be willing to give concrete input to conclude a design, or donate a design, I’ll create a new discussion in the Amp forum. I aim to create a schematic with a level of completion that would include test points/nodes and values for testing.

Thanks for reading.

Last edited: