Any chance for a diy autoformer volume control?

Joined 2001
Paid Member
George - This was at 1kHz. I should go back and re-measure at 100Hz. The 150H number was pulled from the intact audio website. The old FAQ there used to make mention of "better sound" with less inductance. But, experimentation has always been suggested to get the most out of these for your own situation. Fortunately, restacking the lams is easy on those.

egellings - My Slagle attenuator is ready but I haven't had a chance to use it yet. My monoblocks are getting some minor changes at the moment so things are in disarray. The impression I got is simply more music coming through than before. Not just a peaky high end. Feels like you are hearing the upstream components / source with a veil removed. And output Z is dramatically lower with an AVC versus what you get with a resistive control.

IMO, no best, no worst.
It is a matter of preference.

Logic and technical analysis is good but not enough.

Thus it is good if someone has experienced most of the variants of volume control into his(her) audio system.

George
The transformer approach, although it works well, is unnecessarily complex for a function as straightforward as volume control for line level applications. The xfmr has more distortion producing mechanisms than a resistor has. Bottom line is, choose whatever you're a fan of.