Bad news for Ripole sub builders :-(

@Radian, @tubelectron can this sub cover up to 200/300Hz ?

No - at least from my personal experience and the experience of my Audio friends who went that path - you should not go over 60-80Hz, maybe 100Hz at the maximum, and then with a high slope. Otherwise, you may front ugly cavity resonances.

@AdVis mentioned it for me :

@skrstic In a Ripole? Not recommended. If you build a Ripole with 12" speakers the cavity has a nasty resonance peak at 150-200Hz that will be quite difficult to deal with. So you really want to cross over well below that.

An Audio friend of mine "following me" built a pair of 2x18" Ripoles :

1714744048829.png

And found that the best for him was to cut at 60Hz 24dB/Oct. to marry suitably with his bass-mid 15" BR boxes.

I use my Omega Ripole 2x12" (below, centered) with my Magnepan SMGb at FC=@40Hz / 12dB/Oct. set on my integrated Sub module amp :

1714744430711.png

1714744573862.png

The Magnepan SMGb goes to their natural bass FC (circa 50Hz), and then the Omega Ripole takes in charge the infra-bass extension.

T

Reactions: 1 user
If you construct the cavity so it does not have parallel walls along its longest dimension they will play higher before resonances are an issue.

Yes. That's what I did on my Omega Ripole - the main reason of slanted internal panels being the Subwoofer amp module integration, though :

1714745383098.png

In theory, this non-parallel disposition should have an influence on the chambers resonances, but in practice, I don't think that it brings a very significant improvement, unfortunately...

T

That's a start but you would also need to put a curved rear wall in left and right chambers. I talked with a guy who used 12" drivers and made the back and sides non-parallel and he tells me his played up to 600hz without resonance issues...

Here are the two 2x18" D-Ripoles (hence the lateral shape in D) built by one of my Audio friends who choose to go for a "curved rear wall in left and right chambers", as you mention it, plus here we have the inside back rounded also :

1714811509430.png
1714811554992.png

No significant difference were noted vs. my Omega Ripole with its slanded internal baffles, in terms of resonances. My friend cuts its two D-Ripoles at 60Hz 24dB/Oct. , the maximum limit being circa 80Hz.

He expected to reach 150Hz-200Hz thanks to the rounded shapes, and after a quick test, we immediately heard that it was an idea to forget...

In absolutely no way we would reach as high as 600Hz without loud ugly resonances and woolf tones, with either of our ripoles ! The guy who told you he " played up to 600hz without resonance issues" is a mere confabulator...

T

A wide range of drivers are usable in a RiPol.

The QMS/QTS specs imply a stiff suspension.

Upsides in my opinion:

The 31Hz FS is quite good and will be driven even lower by the RiPol enclosure, so it's unlikely the driver resonance would be audible or even occur.

The stiff suspension and low inductance should give fast transient speed and tight, clean, articulate bass with very little ringing.

Downside in my opinion:

Even though the driver has plenty of X-max, I would expect the stiff suspension to progressively restrict excursion; requiring significant offsetting EQ boost to balance the response toward the low end.

Personally, I think a QTS between around .40-.50 is an optimal balance of quality vs quantity, but in a pinch I will choose the low side for more accurate bass, as opposed to the high side giving more prodigious bass.

All other parameters of this woofer look REALLY GOOD to me.

Reactions: 2 users
Thanks for your insight!

I think less but more quality bass should be an ok tradeoff given the price, it very much fits the theme for a RiPol since if i just wanted quantity i would go for BR or sealed. The low price also allows me to go for four of these as opposed to two of the SLS/Beyma which should still give me enough output.

Current plan consists of two RiPols with two of the drivers in each enclosure. Roughly 70x35x15.6cm per RiPol.
Once i get further into the build (in a few weeks i guess) i'll post pictures of the build and whatnot.

1714926565713.png

Yeah i have read his page and also his build threads, great stuff!

I'll try if it works below the tv (in the media console), close to where my front speakers are. The coffee table idea is also great, or maybe standing to the side.

Below the bed/sofa i'm not sure if that would work based on the directionality but if it does that would be amazing.

Anyway i'll keep you guys posted.

Hi,

the STX
W.30.500.2x4.MC from their automotive series looks quite suitable to me.
Pros: price, size, sufficient stroke capability, ´open´ design with lots of ventilation, large spider, strong motor, suitable T&S-specs, optical appearance of basket and magnet.
Cons: front looks of basket ... uncertainty about ´noise´ performance (which applies to any other driver candidat also).

jauu
Calvin