Designing a crossover from measurements

1: Download software that will make good impedance plots (i.e. ARTA) & learn how to use it (or simply use manufacturer's data sheets)
2: Look at Rod elliott's article on crossover design & make yourself a spreadsheet using the formulae there
(you still need to undertand stuff like Baffle step & how to choose well behaved drivers etc)

Joined 2017
Paid Member
Reactions: 1 user
PS: make sure you read the 2 stickies in this very forum. In the "design without measurements" - skip over the part that traces and manipulates manufacturer supplied data with your own. Method from then on should be the same (choosing enclosure, XO point, topologies etc...)

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Get REW and Xsim. Both free.
Get a calibrated measurement mic. $30 to $100.
Get DATS device or similar to measure impedance vs frequency. REW can also do it but not as easily. $100

Read certain threads that discuss the process and ask questions. The “manual” is contained in this Forum - spend time looking around and ask questions.

There is a lot of info here on how to do it.

https://www.speakerdesign.net/

1. Select drivers based on specs freq curves and your needs.
2. Build box with drivers and connect tweeter and woofer independently.
3. Make baseline raw measurements: woofer only, tweeter only, woofer and tweeter in parallel. All without physically touching speaker or mic.
4. Adjust acoustic offset in sim software to predict the woofer and tweeter case exactly from raw woofer and tweeter alone. Once you do this, you know that anything you do with XO components and filters will be accurate.

I personally think that advising a beginner to use Vituix is not the best way to start. It’s full featured, detailed, technical, and very complex. I think Xsim is much easier to start with.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users