Enclosure vibration measurements

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have only ever used chip board and plywood for my speakers over the last 40 years.
Never had any serious problems despite being used for guitar and a mobile disco.
A downside of chip board was getting wet going into and out of gigs and it fell apart.
After that I always used 18mm plywood and never had any problems.

An information table with all the materials and how well they damp would be very interesting. I believe concrete works quite well for static speakers !

I've had the same situation when I was a DJ at funeral gatherings. The Irish ones were the most fun, but the heavy triple thick refrigerator shipping boxes that I used to mount the bass drivers in fell victim to the same rain fate that you've described. They sure could deliver the undertones of rich and lamentable dirge notes though.

Another problem with these enclosures was that some of the mourners carried the boxes off after a couple of sorrowful days of respectful indulgence and dragged them out into the fields as sheltering domiciles until they recovered. I later founds some of my expensive 18" woofers scattered about the landscape.

I've since switched to double walled washing machine boxes for their greater portability plus the reduced size makes them less habitable.

Last edited:
Someone remembers the post (very extensive and tasty) published in this forum about some acoustic cabinets (I think they were Viennese but I can not be sure) that are built under the concept totally opposite to what is proposed here ?
The panels vibrate ex-profession! and they contemplate different resonances to cover all the audible bandwidth ......!
If someone remembers it and finds it, I think it would be a very interesting material to reread and discuss.
Thanks in advance
PS: I remember vaguely remember that the brand of those cabinets ended with ..... ofer or something like that, and the OP was an Israel citizen

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.