I CHOPPED my Dayton sub to make a Guitar Speaker Cabinet!

I used this sub a few times in the early 10 - 12 years I owned it. Divorce time my ex and her friend werent very careful loading it into my pile, so no chance of selling due to chips and surface scratches. Used it in an early iteration sound system here, until I went to OB and V instead of P wave bass. Been down in the garage ever since, never hooked it up to the system there. Sooo,, rather than build a new construction -

1713310394058.png
1713310421555.png

1713310495355.png

I glued the two back pieces in place, where the rear aperture ends up vertical. Cut to save the original radius. Size is basically the ample shelf space the amp chassis needed on top. I'll probably fill the notch, as I have plenty of wood there left over.

Handle on top, some rubber feet for the bottom. Coat of paint - wish I had the paintable tolex stuff on hand - and should look fine for me. I have the round grille for the front, held in place by Velcro. Granted, it's a lot heavier than a pine board enclosure....

Got a working 12" sub driver and plate amp, if anyone's interested! ;')

Reactions: 1 users
Nice table saw you have there too.
Thanks! Picked that old one up at the "Treasure Chest" for $100 a couple years ago. Sold my new more rickety one for $40 on Craigslist.

Repurposing means one less derelict item in the shop or basement anyway. All I’ve ever heard about those Dayton subs is how unreliable their plate amps are.
That's the idea. Last night, I added a carry handle on top and rubber feet on the bottom, all repurposed from something else (A too flimsy for speaker box I picked at the ham radio show, a subwoofer with a dead power supply I parted). I'll have to make a note of that reliability in my listing, when I go to sell it on ebay. "Here's a working replacement for your dead..."

Looks HEAVY 😫 but it will do 😄
And cost fits the "<$50 budget" 😄

If real Duratex is out of reach, plain pickup bead covering or water based under chassis sealant which you can pick for peanuts locally works fine.

NOT as scratch or bump resistant as the real thing but for the limited touring in your future it will do.
Looks good, just don't bump it hard against corners.

Main advantage of course is getting rid of the powered sub, which is neither going to be used nor disposed of, the curse of the clutterers like us.

I have a similar problem with a powered JBL sub, which I neither repair nor dispose of 🤷🏻

Guess I'll just flip a coin and if it "loses" it will be junked as-is.

I have a similar problem with a powered JBL sub, which I neither repair nor dispose of 🤷🏻

Guess I'll just flip a coin and if it "loses" it will be junked as-is.
Those subs - aye! I had a 12" Velodyne, picked up from the thrift down the road. It worked as was supposed to, until one time at 3 AM it came on full blast with something like AC hum. Sat powered off for a year after that. Then, we had moles in our lawn. So I put it pointed straight down over a partially excavated tunnel, feeding it with a function generator that had Sweep; got a nice rythm that sounded like horses trampling and let it run for a few days. Ok, I turned it off at night!

Cleaned it up, sat in the garage for another year - finally I took it back, donated to the same thrift I got it from. Last time I visited, that big $50 Tosh cab was gone - phew - I was weakening, I could tell.

Reactions: 1 user
Final form for now - until I get to the store for some nicer paint. The Crate speaker arrived today, in as-new condition. Complete cabinet weighs 26 lbs; something I can still handle ;')

IMG_0054.JPG
IMG_0056.JPG
IMG_0055.JPG

The shiny stuff on the cone is interesting. "Every driver comes with our exclusive Cat Spray Protection - just wipe with damp cloth! Only from CRATE!". Or Beer spray...

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
I repurpose the lf section of my old Martin Loga Aeons into a pair of subs and sued a Dayton Audio DSP-LF to equalise them.

I need to finish them but struggling to think of how!!

The drivers have a 35Hz free air resonance and 57Hz in the sealed box. In the Aeons they worked upto about 400Hz but now only needed for upto about 140Hz.

Attachments

• SUB1.jpg
    SUB1.jpg
    131.7 KB · Views: 13
  • SUB2.jpg
    SUB2.jpg
    54.7 KB · Views: 10
Final form for now - until I get to the store for some nicer paint. The Crate speaker arrived today, in as-new condition. Complete cabinet weighs 26 lbs; something I can still handle ;')

View attachment 1300273 View attachment 1300279 View attachment 1300280

The shiny stuff on the cone is interesting. "Every driver comes with our exclusive Cat Spray Protection - just wipe with damp cloth! Only from CRATE!". Or Beer spray...
Cone weatherproofing. It does tend to affect the breakup modes, so will have some impact on the tone. Doesn’t add much mass but does make it a little stiffer. The breakup rise will start at a higher frequency compared to without, but typically go higher in amplitude.

Where is the amplifier going to sit? Inside the box somewhere?