microTower Revisited

Joined 2011
Paid Member
von Ah,

Once you get these speakers broken in, try to find a copy of the song "What I Am" by Edie Brickell and the New Bohemians. Ideally an uncompressed version. The other night this song came on the Radio Paradise Mellow Mix (FLAC stream) and I honestly felt like I was hearing a new/different recording of the song. I have never in my life heard that song in such detail. I never really thought that much about that song. Sure, catchy enough - but I never realized that the production quality is as good as it is. I was hearing all sorts of stuff in that song that was never there before. No mind-altering substances were involved - not even a drink.

Ever since, I have been looking for a FLAC version of that song and I think I might have to dig through used CD bins to find the album. I need to confirm I heard what I heard. It was very, very surprising to me, and my appreciation of these new drivers grew that much more.

Joined 2019
Paid Member
Used Edie as a Demo disc in the old Wall To Wall Sound store. Who's is this? was the most frequent response. Next was "This is one of those discs that make speakers sound good" . Couldn't pull the wool over their eyes.

Always used demo stuff that I liked. Kept me sane.

For awhile at least.

... the up-firing drivers disperse the sound that much more. The result is that the speakers still have a "sweet spot" for critical listening, but it is a fairly large one. Sitting on one side of the couch or the other makes very little difference, vs. the middle.

What these speakers do, IMO, is put the band in your room and make your room sound bigger than it is - all the while sounding great while I move about the room.

fascinating!

I listen in mono, single speaker. And I have contemplated the idea of having the kind of speaker you describe but only one channel. Probably after hearing stereo you will not like to listen in mono but I would be very curious if you have the chance to listen to only one channel and tell me how well the sound fills the room ?

I once had an odd shaped very large attic room. I had been setting up my system for a “house warming” and only had one speaker connected off in a dark out of the way side of the room. I got so many comments on how nice the sound filled the room and people couldn’t tell where the music was coming from. I never let on.

Joined 2011
Paid Member
Evan, I agree about both those albums.

Signal lost, yes I read that about Edie and Paul yesterday while reading about her career. She's done some stuff with Steve Martin (who knew he is a musician?) and I think I'll check it out.

Bigun, the only way for me to try mono would be to shift my balance control on my pre-amp all the way to the right or left. I don't have a "mono" mode or any other easy way to try true mono. I have seen you say you listen in mono before and it has always puzzled me a bit.

Joined 2019
Paid Member
Steve Martin can pick a mean banjo. No Kidding.

Evanc I used material for demos that the customer usually had not heard. Allowed me to help them hear differences in the products. Our sales areas often had very different acoustics than living rooms and most speakers would sound thin in the bass range. Often dipoles could sound really bass heavy. Overall poor rooms for comparing your big rack system speakers at home to a smaller but more accurate speaker.

I was a very poor salesman, but very successful at it. Just showed the differences and let the customer decide if they wanted to pay for those differences. Only returns I had were from customers stepping up to the next level. Both are good discs but usually used when the field was narrowed down to two choices.

Joined 2019
Paid Member
Help needed with holey brace layout

Ok I have cut most of the materials and started to lay out the holey brace. The drivers look like they will have the magnet 58mm deep from the backside of the baffle. If one driver is placed on top they seem to interfere. This is with 15mm BB and the top driver centered. Speakers are the Pluvia Seven HD driver.

Am I just messing up the layout? Does anyone have a drawing of the brace they used with the speaker on top? Thanks