NE5532 preamp one channel cuts out after 5 minute

17149509462227284249074470657089.jpg
It's a simple ne5532 preamp.
It sounds great but after 5 min channel a fizzles and stops working.
9-0-9 volts battery powered. I checked all offset volts ... nothing unusual.
I removed the opamp and tested it on another board and no damage to the ne5532?

DC offset was 143mv chanel a then went down to 12mv plugged it in and was fine for five minutes
I have 153mv at A out, .23mv at B out .

Assuming A and B are the op-amp output pins, the offset at A is too large, the offset at B is suspiciously small. 12 mV is in the right ballpark, considering the voltage drop that the input bias current of an NE5532 causes across 15 kohm and the gain.

Correction: actually -12 mV would be in the right ballpark. As the bias current flows into the NE5532 input pins, it causes a systematic negative offset when the + input sees a higher resistance than the - input.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
As it is battery powered have you actually checked both supplies are OK when it fizzles and fades?

The 5532 has a relatively high current draw and will deplete batteries quicker than you might think. Measure the rails when the fault occurs. Also add some 100uF caps across each rail.

Reactions: 2 users
Bot
DC offset was 143mv chanel a then went down to 12mv plugged it in and was fine for five minutes
Both are high if ground reference resistor is only 15k
143mV is gross
I suspect path +IN>15k>Gnd is open, has terrible soldering, etc. leaving that OpAmp input floating and drifting.

Of course, this can/should be confirmed by measuring DC offset, both at +IN and output pin.

Ungrounded input will still take a few minutes to charge input cap so it may temporarily work confusing the symptoms.

Reactions: 1 users
As others have said, make sure you decouple the op-amp properly. Even if running on batteries, there is so much RF junk floating around that can get your op-amp oscillating that you need to deal with it properly.

Follow what Rod suggests in that project, putting the 0.1uF as close to the op-amp as possible:

Each op-amp should be bypassed with a 10µF/25V electrolytic from each supply lead to ground, and a 100nF capacitor between supply leads (not shown in diagrams). The latter should be as close as practicable to the op-amp supply pins, and the 10µF caps can be almost anywhere you like, but are best placed at the DC inputs.