Oscilloscope Music?

Joined 2005
Paid Member
Hey all,

OK, so Number One Son came home from college for Thanksgiving, and asked if I had an oscilloscope....I was initially surprised as to why he would enquire about one, aside from wanting to beat his younger brother over the head with it...

I showed him my two oscilloscopes (both have not been fired up in 10 years) and he asked a number of questions... I told him its for veiwing electronic wave forms...that was as simple as I could describe it - he is a Computer Science Major...

Anyway, he sent me to a YouTube vid on Oscilloscope Music...

So question I had was is it possible to "harm" your system with uploaded internet waveform audio?

Last edited:
Curious, is assembly still required for a CS degree? In the late 70's I was an EE and took lots of CS on the side and both worlds required assembly as part of the curriculum. On the CS side, it was big iron CDC machines while on the EE side it was 6800 code. The CS side was more interesting to me as it demonstrated just how powerful some of the directives are in macro-preprocessing. Some of which I still use when writing C. The EE side was more interesting on an EE level as you saw the machine board etc and I could see even then how you might embed something like this in a system. The CDC was a monster hidden away in the basement. Although I would have loved to have toured it and seen the I think maybe 1MB of real "core" memory.

Joined 2005
Paid Member
I think assembly is still being taught - cant get much lower than that Low Level machine language, right?

But my programming knowledge is a bit dated - I started out with Fortran 77, RPG and COBOL in High School in late 70's, then on to Pascal in College. Ended up with a Mechanical Engineering degree as I found Physics a bit easier (I am a lazy SOB)

Reactions: 1 user