• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Raphaelite DPK34 kit assembly help

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
There'a mismatch here between the PCB and the wiring diagram. The wiring diagram shows the resistor and cap here as I have it soldered now, but the PCB is printed with them swapped. Is it a problem the way I have it?

Attachments

• 190320RaphaeliteKit12.jpg
    190320RaphaeliteKit12.jpg
    696.9 KB · Views: 127
  • 190320RaphaeliteKit11.jpg
    190320RaphaeliteKit11.jpg
    706 KB · Views: 132
There'a mismatch here between the PCB and the wiring diagram. The wiring diagram shows the resistor and cap here as I have it soldered now, but the PCB is printed with them swapped. Is it a problem the way I have it?

there is a real problem. the 0.1uF capacitor is soldered in place of the 22k resistor. you have to compare with the diagram and follow the diagram

if I look at your entire pcb, on the other side everything is soldered in the right place

Thanks, and does the capacitor connect to both?

if you have a little capacitor for the switch,it must be soldered on the switch on both wires. it serves to protect the contacts of the switch

claquement-dans-les-haut-parleurs-et-interrupteur.png

Excellent, again - thank you. I'm at the input switch now. Here are photos of the switch. The amp has 3 RCA inputs (labeled Aux 1, CD, Aux 2). I've got the ground all wired. I know the center two pins on this switch go to the volume pot, but am not sure which is L and which is R. And I don't know which of the 12 pins around the perimeter to attach the RCA wires to.

Attachments

• 190320RaphaeliteKit18.jpg
    190320RaphaeliteKit18.jpg
    412.7 KB · Views: 99
  • 190320RaphaeliteKit19.jpg
    190320RaphaeliteKit19.jpg
    845.2 KB · Views: 60
That's up to you to search.
first you have to look for the common L and the common R.
then you have to find the corresponding pin according to the position
the selector (me I put it to the bottom to the left) then once the L and R found in position 1, you turn the selector a notch and you start again to find the position two, and so on

I know the center two pins on this switch go to the volume pot, but am not sure which is L and which is R. And I don't know which of the 12 pins around the perimeter to attach the RCA wires to.
This is the time to take out your DVM. You should have 2 set of three input positions. Use the ohms meter function to determine which outer pins are connected to the center pin in each of the three positions. Write it down. As a good practices you might want to choose the group closer to the left speaker terminals as L and the group closer to the right speak as R. The switch doesn't care but humans do.

Edit: Take care of your shield grounding wire per your wiring diagram on this part and the volume control pcb. Mistake here can lead to ground hum later.

Last edited:
sorry but I'm not sure Nfitch has the skills to finish this job. absolutely nothing bad or negative in there, but when it is difficult to understand a simple switch or input selector, we risk getting hurt when checking the voltage in operation, while hoping that it does not catch fire directly on power up. maybe it would be worth it to finish the wiring (which is the most boring) and then have it checked and powered by your local repairer who normally must at least know the precautions to take to carry out this work. I'm not old in the tube, barely three years that I work with, but it's been more than twenty years that I work in transistors for 1 to 3 devices per month, so I have some experience. I just wish you did not hurt yourself.

No offense taken. I've assembled a B1 buffer and a lot of speaker crossovers, so nothing close to this amp. My original post was looking for someone else to complete it because I'm aware of the potential harm in amps like this when mishandled. It's been good to get some help and finish more of the wiring, but I intend to have someone take a good look at it before firing it up.

This is the time to take out your DVM. You should have 2 set of three input positions. Use the ohms meter function to determine which outer pins are connected to the center pin in each of the three positions. Write it down. As a good practices you might want to choose the group closer to the left speaker terminals as L and the group closer to the right speak as R. The switch doesn't care but humans do.

Edit: Take care of your shield grounding wire per your wiring diagram on this part and the volume control pcb. Mistake here can lead to ground hum later.

Got it, thanks.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.