Rotel Laser Replacement

Morning, just turned 68 and discovering the joys of Social Security and having the time to work on long neglected audio projects.

The first was refreshing the crossovers caps in my Klipsch, RF-3s. With the great help and guidance from the members of the Klipsch Community, they now sound as good or even better than the day I brought them home, 21 year ago! The second oldest component is my over 20 years old Rotel, RCD-991 player. For the last few months its been acting like its laser is on its way out. Symptoms are; the draw reopening several times after initially loading a CD, going to “Track 10” instead of “Track 1”, and taking significantly longer to boot a CD. All these symptoms seem to cure themselves after its been running for a few minutes. The laser warms up and it functions normally. I’ve already cleaned and renewed the lubricant on the rails, gears, and tray, but while the tray is a bit smoother, the other symptoms are still there. I can’t be too surprised or upset, I gather the lasers are only good for about 10 years, so I guess it was about due.

The laser is the KSS-213B that seems like every vendor in the world sells, even Walmart lists it, LOL! The options are buying just the laser unit, KSS-213B or C or the complete mechanism, KSS-213CL, which includes the laser, both motors, and drive gears. My mechanical instincts tell me to spend the extra cash and renew the complete laser drive unit. Either option looks like a pretty simple straight forward job. Anybody here lend me some advice or experience replacing a laser? And recommend a good vendor to source the part or unit from?
Thanks Gene