Single supply, three-pole compensated class-B retro amp

The modified TMC, TMIC works quite well

Attachments

• H-ENGv3-TMIC.jpg
    H-ENGv3-TMIC.jpg
    254.2 KB · Views: 428
TPC + TMC has the same benefit as 3PC
Effect of TMC tuning, benefit at 19kHz is 30dB Ry = 2k2 4k7 10k 1G (only TPC)
Degradation loop gain parasitic capacitance Cx = 0.001 0.01 0.1 1 pF
IMD1920 can then look like -140dB :D

Attachments

• homeless quasi B 300mV off.png
    homeless quasi B 300mV off.png
    11.7 KB · Views: 340
  • 3PC benefit.png
    3PC benefit.png
    5.4 KB · Views: 307
  • Cx degradation.png
    Cx degradation.png
    5.1 KB · Views: 183
  • TPC+TMC,3PC IMD1920.png
    TPC+TMC,3PC IMD1920.png
    4 KB · Views: 409
I am in the process of making an amp based on this design and figured I would share some pics. This is my first ever amp build so I am sure I will make mistakes but so far it has been fun and LKA has been a gentleman with answering my never-ending queries.

1.jpg

2.jpg

Reactions: 2 users
I completed my build earlier this month, with much advice and reassurance from @LKA - thank you again🙏
If anyone is interested in building this amplifier, I can offer my spare PCBs for the cost of shipping. Note that I am in Australia.
I have 6 spare PCBs.

I created a spreadsheet with all the required PCB components here: https://1drv.ms/x/s!AvzFj8fCrWcFgpEjywm3CmvUR7oY0Q?e=v63TWf
I am quite happy to help where I can if anyone wants to take this project on and has questions.

Some pics:

1666180596784.png

1666181195464.png

1666180963955.png

Reactions: 4 users
Hi, I am currently working on the Danwatt MK2 version. It's similar to the H-ENG, 2 transistors less but sonically similar...
How satisfied are you with the sound of the H-ENG?

My design will be dual mono, mirrored pcb (amp + ground loop) 2x 150W toroid + 2x 12.000uF
IMG_20221028_190801.jpg
+ Mirrored pcb The groun loop are on their way...
1.jpg

Reactions: 1 user
@HRDSTL Very pleasing, a lot of resolution. Recently bought JDS Labs 3-ch. eq. For digital source now testing Topping D90. The most pleasing is the fact that after hours being on and playing, it is cold with very small heatsink. The power output looks to me very close to both Danwatts. However, original "slow" Danwatt is much more warmer (especially BD 139 driver working in A-class).

How satisfied are you with the sound of the H-ENG?

Very satisfied although I would not say that I have golden ears or anything. I imagine that people are more predisposed to enjoying things that they have created themselves, and so I say with some reservation that it is my favourite amplifier :)

It pairs well with my ESP P97 preamp build - I feel like there is a good synergy. I have it hooked up to a pair of Canton Karat 40s in my modest lounge room and honestly, I could not be happier with how it turned out. In fact, I want to also make the Danwatt Mk.2 now just to see how it compares but I'm not sure how to get hold of the PCBs + BOM for that project.