The food thread

I've had a beard since I was 15 .....never clean shaven since I first grew it! 😎

Got the first good haul of pole beans yesterday and made beans n potatoes with smoked ham hocks. Had some friends over and didn't get a Pic until cleanup......it was so good there was almost none left!
Curly Kale is still coming in quite nicely but will slow down as it heats up.

Attachments

• 20240518_110350.jpg
    20240518_110350.jpg
    600.6 KB · Views: 13
  • 20240518_201154.jpg
    20240518_201154.jpg
    447.3 KB · Views: 14
Reactions: 1 user
Such a wonderful ingredient.

20240520_191418.jpg

Doing Moroccan chicken tonight. Still no preserved lemons, so I just caramelize thin slices in the pan first, then reserve them for topping after. Fresh lemon juice at the end, of course. Served over jasmine rice cooked in chicken stock with butter and parsley.

Just about ready to plate.

I've had a beard since I was 15 .....never clean shaven since I first grew it! 😎

Got the first good haul of pole beans yesterday and made beans n potatoes with smoked ham hocks. Had some friends over and didn't get a Pic until cleanup......it was so good there was almost none left!
Curly Kale is still coming in quite nicely but will slow down as it heats up.

My kale has been ravaged by earwigs and snails. What was left has been relegated to the guinea pigs as a treat. Just pulled the last of my chard and lettuce. The piggies of course got some as well.

Strawberries are coming in nicely. Just about time to prune my rose and get cuttings in soil for propagation, too. Next is planting new jalapeño starts I've hardened off for the past 3 weeks. But my cobra diablo chiles are going strong! About a foot (305mm) tall now.

Joined 2010
Paid Member
Such a wonderful ingredient.

Doing Moroccan chicken tonight. Still no preserved lemons, so I just caramelize thin slices in the pan first, then reserve them for topping after. Fresh lemon juice at the end, of course. Served over jasmine rice cooked in chicken stock with butter and parsley.

Just about ready to plate.

MAKE THE LEMONS... they're sooo easy and they add a fantastic layer of flavor to your food. Takes four weeks at a minimum...

I've wondered about preserved lemons, and after seeing some posts here tried some. Pretty good. As I'm unfamiliar with them, I just sliced them and heated them in some grapeseed oil and capers juice.
Served with a poached egg, and some Jasmine rice with green onions, garlic, and some ghost pepper.
Tasted just like a dinner that's refreshingly light.
Next time I'll soak the lemons at least a little. Mine are a little salty for my preference.

Attachments

• 20240524_161944.jpg
    20240524_161944.jpg
    789.6 KB · Views: 12
Joined 2010
Paid Member
I've wondered about preserved lemons, and after seeing some posts here tried some. Pretty good. As I'm unfamiliar with them, I just sliced them and heated them in some grapeseed oil and capers juice.
Served with a poached egg, and some Jasmine rice with green onions, garlic, and some ghost pepper.
Tasted just like a dinner that's refreshingly light.
Next time I'll soak the lemons at least a little. Mine are a little salty for my preference.

Slice the tops off the ends, about half an inch.
Slice into the lemon, vertically, in quarters about 3/4 of the way.
Rub the lemons with good salt, make sure to get into the inside of the lemons.
Let them sit overnight in the fridge, salt encrusted.
Next day, pack them into a clean jar, leaving about two inches from top.
Top them off with lemon juice to cover
I added whole peppercorns and by leaves.
Close the jar and put in a fridge... at least four weeks.

Mine, we use for braising meats and poultry. With Moroccan or Middle Eastern spices ( and garlic, olives, dates... ).

Went for a bike ride, got back and my 6 year old grand-daughter was in the kitchen and hungry. I helped her make buttermilk pancakes from scratch (NYTimes recipe).

2 cups flour
1 1/2 teaspoon each baking powder and baking soda
1 1/4 teaspoon salt
3 tablespoons melted butter
2 large eggs
2 1/2 cup buttermilk

We had 6 grand-kids over after church (and their) parents for brunch, went through an entire pound of bacon, a pound of sausages, a dozen eggs, a quart container of strawberries and what was left of the pancake batter!