Useful infrasonic extension? How low do you go?

Well, it is an unorthodox use of LT. However, even with LT the crossover highpass reduces excursion helpfully. Also note that typical music signal rolls off at about 3 dB/octave so much of the power won't increase excursion noticeably: 400-2000 Hz will have about as much power as 200-400, probably more once the crossover rolloff is taken into account, and WInISD will tell you the driver barely moves at those frequencies.

Plus 200W is not RMS. 200 watt load resistors are hefty beasts rated for dissipation only when mounted on a hefty heatsink, and most drivers rated for such don't have a bevy of fins on the back.

In a similar vein I mentioned using LT for vented enclosures, with considerable caution such as a highpass filter at Fb to keep cones out of my lap.

Reactions: 1 user
I've just built another DIY subwoofer containing 2x Faital Pro 18XL1800.

Riser5.jpg
Riser6.jpg

They'll be the 4th subwoofer in my system that's calibrated with Dirac Live Bass Control and hopefully with Dirac ART in the near future. The lower correction curtain is set to 15Hz and my need for clean infrasonic bass needs is finally satisfied.

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users
No ports as I want to use them for mixed HT/music.

I have considered low large tuned and read all recent posts about ports and LLT here and on AVS but I kept on simulating in WinISD with enclosure size vs tuning frequency vs port size (velocity vs first resonance) and finally decided on building sealed. Sealed indeed has less output but also none of the port problems ;)

Reactions: 1 users
They don't play on avsforum!
Multiple 24" SUBwoofers in the home is the new standard.
I'd seriously consider 24"s if they were available and affordale in the EU. I also see SUB in capitals. I know that my set of 4x 21", 2x18" and 4x 15" (and future 4x 18") won't do much under 10Hz but all together I'm very happy with their distortion free performance in my living room ;)

Reactions: 1 user