65dB versus 70dB

I have two different speaker systems that have identical frequency response. They're both three-way.

System A, the "woofer" and "tweeter" meet each other at 64dB, while system B, they meet at 70dB. As stated earlier, two systems are tuned to have their frequency responses identical (or very close) to each other.

Will it have any sound difference between the two? Which one is better?

Attachments

• A.png
    A.png
    38.8 KB · Views: 45
  • B.png
    B.png
    38.7 KB · Views: 48
diyAudio Moderator
Joined 2008
Paid Member
I didn't mean phase angle, sorry.

Two plots with the same response can differ in the room. What happens at other physical angles from the speaker can affect many things such as the tone character, the distinctness of the room reflections and imaging.

Reactions: 1 user
Joined 2017
Paid Member
Directivity and distortion of the system can change, even if the on-axis response is similar.

Just to expand on this, as I think this is the important point in practice.
A real woofer may have cone breakup (not evident in your graphs) and where is the tweeters rising distortion as well as Fs. Being 6 db lower for all of these things would be good...IF they are actually important for real drivers in a real situation. But it is also possible that the woofers are well behaved, the tweeter has low distortion at 1,500hz and the tweeter has a low Fs and there is no audible difference between the two. Just depends on the actual drivers in the real world.

IF both systems have exact same frequency response, not sure how any Human ear can perceive "where they meet"

And the relevant parameter is crossover frequency rather than "SPL at crossover frequency"

I mean in a properly made flat response speaker system ; your example is far from that.