A faulty Philips CD202 is arriving home

Yes, I love adventures. I’m a noob (with a little experience) by repairing philips cd players. But I don’t care. As I said, I love adventure. I love risks.

As the seller says, the laser seems to work but cd is not spinning. That’s the only info I have. Price, 120$. Who can resist?

I checked google and I found some threads about the same issue with the same unit.

I’ll update with more info in the next days. First of all, I need the unit in front of me haha.

Reactions: 1 user
Ok so the player has arrived.

Removed the chassis and first I found is bad caps on the PSU.
I removed all the caps of the psu and cleaned the board.

I noticed that a 10k potentioneter was oxidated. I removed that pot and I fount that it was adjusted to the max.

I have replacements for this pot, and in the service manual says that I have to adjust ir, but I dont know how exactly:

IMG_3812.jpeg

It says:
ADJUST +2
5.0V +- 50mv

But I dont understand…. 5V between what points??? Between R3456??

Also I found 4 voltage regulators in the PSU board. The legs of this regulators are oxidated just a little. One of them has the grip broken. May I suppose that the regulators are dead?

image.jpg

Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
The picture of the board doesn't look good tbh. That kind of 'oxidation' and corrosion is typical of spillage and often can be cat pee and the like. It is something I've seen countless times as my time as a bench tech.

The preset simply sets the output of the LM317 regulator to 5 volts which is the voltage across C2475.

Thanks bro.
I took that picture before cleaning the board.
Yes, that oxidation is not good.
I think the best idea is to buy new caps, new voltage regulators, and resistors that also had oxidation.
And then, power on and cross fingers. If still not working, measure voltages.

I only found oxidation in this area on the picture. The rest of the board is ok. So I think that a good start point is to change all oxidated components and also ALL caps in this board.

Other boards like decoder and cdm 0 looks fine. Like new.

Last edited:
What is that white/silver thing connected to the diode and going to what looks like the mains transformer?
Its a cotton fiber. From the cloth I’m using to clean the board.
I bought all the components. Now Im gonna desolder all faulty/oxidated components, clean again the board, and solder the new components.
I bought also the 5 voltage regulators. Gonna change it because legs are oxidated.

Yes, I think this player has a lot of history. But its a good entertainment to me.
If I can revive it, I’ll have a party 🥳🥳

Changed the diode and seems that it's working well (the diode i mean).

After changing all the components, player turns on, but still not working.
Laser is not lighting.
Checked voltages and everything is ok EXCEPT two terminals: -7v and -18v
-7v is giving -1,3V
-18v is giving -16v

Cheched voltage on the voltage regulators and 2 of them are not working well (obvious). This 2 regulators are negative regulators (-7v)
That's why I bought all 5 regulators in the store. Next step is to change all the regulators, apply new thermal paste.

I followed the traces from -7v terminal on the PSU AAAAAAANDDDDDDDD this -7v is the voltage that goes to the Laser circuit:
Captura de pantalla 2024-05-04 a las 13.33.43.png

So, I still have hope.

Time to stop. I'm in Madrid on a trip (because my wife is in exams and I'm in the hotel repairing this f*cking player).
My wife finished the exams, son it's time to stop repairing, so It's time to go downtown for something to eat.

You have given my son (Joe) the enthusiasm to have a look at our CD 202. It seems to have a power on problem (it may have others once on). Here’s ours!
Nice!!!!
I’m so happy to know that!!!!
Thanks for the link. It’s a great help.

The diode I changed is in the same circuit of the -7v… so I dont know if the fault is the diode or de voltage regulator.

I can't wait to get home to continue working on the player.

Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
It sounds like you are having fun :) You just have to work through it all and of course getting all the supplies correct is the first step. The BY255 is an type used extensively in TV servicing many years ago. Plenty big enough for anything here.

Most of these have burned out lasers. If you think your laser is OK, it may be an option to get another, clean, good looking player and put in the whole drive. There are quite some on eBay. I would not have started any restoration on such a rotten chassis tbh.
It is compareable to old cars, if you find one in a barn with a blown engine, chances are good you can use all other components except for the engine. Combine it with an engine from another wreck and you are fine.

Most of these have burned out lasers
I think not in my case. The laser works.
Before working on this player, no light from laser and no motor spinning. Now the laser is emiting a beautiful red light and motor is spinning. Obviously its trying to read the cd but its not reading the TOC.
As Mooly said, first step is getting all the supplies correct. There is only one voltage to correct (-18v) cuz its giving only -14v

I think I can revive this player. I have a hunch. I don’t care how much time I spend.
Work in progress…

Last edited:
The normal routine at these players is the following:
Insert disc or push Play button, swing arm swings to the TOC area, focus lens moves up/down several times and laser emits light, if focus found on disc only then the turntable motor starts rotating and TOC is read, motor stops and display shows the total playing time and total number of tracks.
Don't worry if the motor does not rotate. It is the sign of focus not found.

Reactions: 1 users