Are modern fullrange drivers better than tweeters?

I am 99% certain that the aluminum oxide coating used by Peerless, Seas, SB and others is based on anodizing the aluminum diaphragm. Anodize is a process that uses acid to convert the surface of aluminum into aluminum oxide, usually to a depth that is much greater than the normal "thin" aluminum oxide layer that occurs naturally. If the anodizing is thick enough, the diaphragm can be truthfully described as being ceramic, since there is more aluminum oxide there than metalic aluminum. And yes, the aluminum oxide layer is very hard and abrasion resistant. It is not a lie to say it is corundum.
No, the Peerless, Accuton, SB Acoustics CDC, Eton Symphony, and TLabs aluminum oxide are all through and through, and not surface treatment oxidized only. They are all very fragile.
The TB 1719 was surface treated.

The famous Monitor Audio gold dome from 1980s was gold-anodized ceramic-coated Al-Mg according to company website IIRC. Rounded brassy without sharp edges as if liquid metal. Beautiful soprano voice. Mo's Studio series all-alloy, 1st-order XO has been my reference on two continents.

Fiberglass honeycomb used for aerospace wing-fill is supposed to be lighter than paper and harder than steel. 4" cone (Mivoc) can reach 17khz, albeit very unevenly. Once I plast-nulled the 7khz breakup peak of my no-name 4" it was flat to >9khz and with a plast rossette waveguide beyond my hearing range.

Reactions: 1 user
Retro tech story: as soon as I read the OP's first post, my mind immediately flashed back to the early 80s and my senior year in high school when I built two different sets of speakers in wood shop class. After finishing them (and graduating), I wanted to build another set & one of them was a two-way using a 10" woofer and a special driver I had been fascinated with since its debut at Radio Shack:

3-Inch Midrange Tweeter (it's listed on page 61: to get there, enter "61" into the left/black side of the page selector gizmo at the bottom of the viewer app; use mouse wheel to enlarge page*)

Seemed like a good idea to me: IMO a well-designed cone tweeter can sound decent, but usually only with smaller woofers i.e. 8" and below. So to me this was the "heavy duty" version of that, built so it could be crossed over at a relatively low frequency for use with 10" and larger woofers.

Unfortunately college got in the way of my building plans (no spare money and especially, no equipment to build the enclosure). So, another audio dream sacrificed to the attainment of my post-secondary education. :)

* when I first found that site about 10 years ago, I must have spent 2 hours there, swimming in audio nostalgia.....

Reactions: 1 users
frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
3-Inch Midrange Tweeter

RS40-1289-MT.png

Probably a Foster FE83 variant loaded in a plastic cup.

I have some FE83A i am saving for something special. They came out of a Noresco WAW with a 10” AlNiCo woofers.

dave

Reactions: 1 user
<snip>
I've been wondering for some time now why nobody uses cone tweeters. Sure back in the day the dome could sound more detailed or delicate or whatever. But by now I'd think some damn good cone tweeters (or mid-tweeters) could be designed. All the full range stuff I've noticed has low sensitivity though, surely in an attempt to put out "bass" and hence not a good match for woofers. (Though speaker sensitivities overall seem to be dropping, maybe it's not such a mismatch as I think?)

Yep, I agree. The only caveat that comes to mind is how audible are "bending modes"? I've been wondering what happens with paper designs when the outer edges lag behind the middle of the cone -- if the speed of the transverse ripples is slower than the speed of sound, then the sound wave would sort of be progressively shaped as it expands outwards, and may form a sort-of bubble or virtual point source that pops out in front of the cone. Kind of like the way an exponential horn tends to slow down the edges of the sound wave.

Imagine at 20kHz, a soft cone might have 5 full cycles of ripples. After 5 cycles, the 1st cycle is already >85mm out in front of the cone, but if the air hasn't absorbed all the energy, the cone edges will still be generating the 1st cycle. So there could be a sort-of cardioid effect, where off-axis energy at 90 degrees is reduced due to cancellation. Maybe that's part of the secret to soft dome tweeters? Less diffraction.

OTOH, I think cone designs usually require stiffness to produce lower frequencies, so the internal speed of sound is increased, and smoother box shapes have to be deployed.

I have decided to drop the proposed listening test. I may still buy a pair of wideband drivers to assess for my own purposes where they may make sense (e.g. arrays, budget 2 ways with large midwoofers, budget PC speakers, rear speakers,...) but not to use where they don't make much sense such as the proposed top for a woofer cabinet. Reading round this thread I learnt a bit more about them and it has increased my interest in having a play.
I hope my New Year's Weekend 3-way comp answered a few of your questions, in the realm of more traditional passive XO for home use.

https://www.diyaudio.com/community/...ir-5-2-in-evansound-3-75l.393909/post-7220838

View attachment 1125424

Probably a Foster FE83 variant loaded in a plastic cup.

I have some FE83A i am saving for something special. They came out of a Noresco WAW with a 10” AlNiCo woofers.

dave
Interesting info (and thanks for the clipped article). That surround seems quite substantial for a "midrange" crossed over at 700Hz, so it makes sense that is probably a repurposed full range driver.

Thanks to River757 for the trip down memory lane.
I still remember the smiles on our young faces when Pete Townsend's first guitar notes played through those dome mid ranges. Probably sounded like hell but we didn't know anything yet.
No problem. :) The real thanks go to whoever took all that time(!) scanning all those catalogs.(y)

Dome midranges: I also wanted to use that particular midrange for something (most probably the 3-way 8" dual-chamber reflex described in David Weems' book also sold at RS at the time), but was hesitant to do so because the dome's coating was incredibly sticky & thought dust accumulating on it was there to stay.